Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2010

Duckwheat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
A lot of what your answers will be, have to do with what you plan to do with the boat.

If you're planning on making bluewater passages, I would recommend getting a boat that does not have a saildrive—especially if you're planning on sailing in more remote areas. While many boats have made bluewater passages with a saildrive, it is probably safer to do so in a boat with a traditional shaft and prop. Also, getting a saildrive serviced in remote areas, especially if the bellows fails, is probably more difficult.
I am looking to go cruising. Cross oceans and see how far I can go. I am not going to break the bank or get something too damn big I cannot sail it or keep it up. When I get to a foreign port I do not want to be paranoid about leaving the boat. I am looking 35-40 foot. IP is just one make there are others that will certainly work. I have the patience of a buzzard. I do not want a bunch of wood to keep up. A friend bought something big and old. Too much of a project. I am going to be on the coast for two years living on it, so I have some time to get everything in shape to depart.

DW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Just remember to budget at least and extra 20% in addition to the purchase price to get things in order and to your liking!
Old 06-22-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckwheat View Post
We went down to the All Sail show in Oakland and were able to crawl thru a few boats. I like the Island Packets a lot. Attended John and Amanda Neal (sp) offshore seminar.

Here are the questions:

1. We are looking at buying the boat about 2 years out. When do you start looking in earnest?

2. Really don't want one until I sell the house, but would you borrow the bucks for the right boat and pay it off once you sell the house?

3. Buyer Broker? Get one or not? One guy or Multiple?

4. If number 3 is yes, anyone with a recommendation in the Nortwest?

I thought the Neal's did a good job of making me a little more open minded on boats to consider and what to look for in a boat.

5. One of the boats they suggested was a 35 Wauquiez. Saildrive? No personal expereince with them, but I don't like the looks of them. Opinions or experience?

Thanks in advance.

DW from Boise, temporarily in Naknek, Ak.
I think of IP's more as a nice coastal cruising boat than a blue water boat. The Wauquiez Pretorian 35 is a proven well built blue water boat. They built them with saildrives and with traditional shaft drive. I think they all had Volvo engines, at least all the ones I looked at did. I wasn't looking for a bluewater boat and the combination of deep keel and the Volvo convinced me to move on, even though I really like the robust construction of the Pretorian.

You didn't really say what your sailing experince is, but one thing you could consider is getting some offshore experience through an outfit like Offshore Passage Opportunities over the next couple of years. That would give you a chance to evaluate different boats in offshore conditions to help you decide what you think is important in your boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.