Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Of course what is considered difficult conditions for one person are relatively normal conditions for another. I go out in crappy weather with small craft advisories all the time.... but I've got the boat setup with a third reef in the main and she seems to love when it's blowing 20-25 knots... and my sanity has been heavily questioned by many at my marina...

I personally think the weather forecast, including the high-wind warning, sounds like pretty good weather for a sail...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
I don't know exactly where the two locations are, but down here in S.E. Michigan the weather predictions are for storms today thru Wednesday. As is typical for this time of year in this part of the world: Depending upon a variety of factors they could happen or not. They could be relatively mild or they could be severe.

The storms that flew thru here a few days ago resulted in up to 58 kt. winds.

Not when I'd choose a 110 km sailing trip--particularly at night.

I've been in our boat in 25-30 kt winds, racing, with a crew of four, the #3 jib and a reef in the main. It was all we could to to hold on to her. With a crew of two it would've been impossible. I've been on our boat in a 30 kt. plus blow (gale warnings had been issued) under motor. Boat that could usually make 6.5 kts plus on relatively calm water with little to no headwind could at times not even make 3 kts.

Both times were in the daytime with mostly clear skies and no rain.

Jim
Old 06-21-2010

Trouty is on a distinguished road
Well....I'm leaning towards NOT taking the double risks of night sailing with storm sailing (and I suppose a third risk of absolutely having to be home by Friday).

Unfortunately my home port is pretty far removed from more interesting sailing grounds; nice anchorages ect.

I will shorten the trip and see how far we get during the days. I've calculated doing about 5 knots but with this wind my boat can do 8 - I might get to Tobermoray after all.....

Thanks
Old 06-21-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Check the marine forecast. Here's what I found:

Great Lakes - Lake Huron - Forecast - Environment Canada
Old 06-21-2010

Trouty is on a distinguished road
yup, thats perfect sailing wind for my boat. Its the thunderstorm warnings that have me spooked a bit (but not so much during the day)
Old 06-21-2010

It seems like the forecast is pretty consistent along your entire route, checking the EnviroCan forecasts for Goderich, Kincardine, Southampton and Tobermory. Thunderstorms starting overnight and running right through tomorrow, all the way.
Old 06-21-2010

As you head north, the wind really picks up:

Great Lakes - Lake Huron - Marine Warnings - Environment Canada

..."'Strong' winds of 20 to 33 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations."
Old 06-21-2010

gypsywomen is on a distinguished road
Sailing at night can be a wonderful time. The first few night sails should be with good forcasts. In my opinion. This time of year you are always gonna have a chance of storms popping up.
If you go out at night have a plan in mind incase the weather gets crappy. A little bit of sail up in storms can make a huge differance in how bumpy the ride is. Just as long as its not too much sail.
We are on the chesapeake bay, we sail at night often. Many people have triied to scare us with all kinds of horror stories. Most of them have not sailed at night. It can be great, but only you know if you are ready or not.
Old 06-21-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

If you are confident in your boat and your abilities then go. If you are confident in the boat, but uneasy about your abilities, then talk to your crew about it. If you are not confident in the boat then don't go.

Now that summer is here, if you are going to wait until there is no chance of storms, you won't go until late fall.

I like sailing at night - cooler temps, less traffic, etc.

Barry

Old 06-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you don't trust the boat... you really shouldn't be going anywhere in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hello,

If you are confident in your boat and your abilities then go. If you are confident in the boat, but uneasy about your abilities, then talk to your crew about it. If you are not confident in the boat then don't go.

Now that summer is here, if you are going to wait until there is no chance of storms, you won't go until late fall.

I like sailing at night - cooler temps, less traffic, etc.

Barry

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.