Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010

TheMadchef is on a distinguished road
I too sail on Huron & Georgian bay. The forecast calls for a chance of thunderstorms tomorrow, not today, although there is a stron wind warning in effect- but that's my favorite time to sail. Practice reeding the main before you leave and bring at least 2 gps units. Know where you are at all times. Give yourselves plenty of searoom. The boat you are taking can handle this weather. You will have to be on deck in shifts to sail under strong winds- autopilots act drunk in these conditions. Tether yourselves, wear lifejackets and make sure your VHF is working and set to 16. I'm sure you have the necessary flares & first aid stuff... Go have fun!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2010

Oops spelling. Practice reeFing the main
Old 06-21-2010

I should also add, however, that sailing in thunderstorms is ill advised and you should plan to stay a day or two if you are port- locked by thunderstorms. If you don't have time to stay in tobermory for an extra day to wait out said storms, don't go.
Old 06-28-2010

Trouty is on a distinguished road
I'm back from my trip - had a blast but did NOT sail at night. We made it to Port Elgin but the wind and waves from the north dissuaded us from going further. 2 other boats tried but turned back as they took quite a pounding.

We could have fit in some night sailing between the storms but hindsight is 20/20.

Had a bit of a scare when my jib halyard broke and the sail fell into the lake! It got wrapped around the furler and due to my inexperience, I did not figure out why there was so much resistance on the jib sheet until it was too late (glad I was not single handing at the time!)

I also discovered on this trip that my blackberry had service and I was able to call up the Exeter weather radar station and see (with 10 minute delay) the storms moving across ontario. Its no substitute for onboard radar but it was certainly useful.
Old 06-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Trouty—

I would recommend you hire a rigger to inspect your forestay ASAP. It sounds like you had a halyard wrap and that can often lead to severe forestay damage and possibly loss of the rig entirely if you don't fix it promptly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.