Navionics chart plotter / GPS app for Droid phone, plus Chesapeake Smart Buoys - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2010

sealover is on a distinguished road
Navionics chart plotter / GPS app for Droid phone, plus Chesapeake Smart Buoys

Just downloaded it for the Euro equivalent of $12. Well worth it. Would be great as a backup although it'll be my only chart plotter. They also have one available for inland lakes, as well as apps for all parts of the world. Also looking forward to using it while on a cruise ship this summer.

Be advised, it took me a half hour to download the charts. The good news is apparently those charts are on my phone and are available regardless of cell tower reception. Some reviews say it doesn't work on every droid phone but it works great on my Motorola.

Also a FREE "smart buoy" app. Straightforward data from the smart buoys on the Chesapeake. Provides wave height, frequency, direction, water temp, wind direction and speed (constant and gust)

Fellow Droid users -- please share anything else of interest you've found!

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
The Navionics chart require firmware 1.6. The current HTC Hero is 1.5.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 09-30-2012

benet250 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to benet250
Re: Navionics chart plotter / GPS app for Droid phone, plus Chesapeake Smart Buoys

Hello, I looked at the droid Navionics chartplotter and found it to be lacking the following, no AIS, no NMEA Output no integration with other modules/programs, one has to pay for it. I think I will stick to my SeaClear II, (its an awful lot more flexible, accurate and its free).
Old 09-30-2012

afrinus is on a distinguished road
Re: Navionics chart plotter / GPS app for Droid phone, plus Chesapeake Smart Buoys

I like the Navionics - not because its better than anything else, but because its the only charting App for inland lakes in the USA. The $9.99 paid is definitely worth it.

The other two Apps I use extensively is WindFinder and WindAlert - both giving current wind conditions as well as the predicted wind 6 days out.

Both are free Apps
Old 09-30-2012

Azzarac is on a distinguished road

I love Navionics mainly for the fact it has its own charts and not dependant on NOAA charts since NOAA doesn't cover our lakes. However, you want to double check the depth shown on the charts as I know (not going to say exactly how I know...) that the depths shown on our small local lake is not even close to correct. I use it mainly to see my position on the lake as some of our large lakes snake around and have a lot of coves and arms so it is easy to get lost if you don't pay attention to how you got there.

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow Chameleon's travels at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2012
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about

All 3 trips I've done from Florida to the Bahama have been on a Lagoon 440 (3 different boats). Unfortunately since it's a fly bridge boat, the charter operators tend to keep the plotter out of harms way down in the salon. So the last two trips I used Navionics. First on my phone, then on a tablet. I found them so useful that I rarely used the boat's plotter.

Because I have a Motorola Xoom, it has a built in barometric sensor. I use the only app I know of to take advantage of the sensor "Barometer HD".

Other related apps:
Tide Chart Free.
Wave Watch
Wind Finder
Surf Guru
Predict Wind
Marine Weather by Blufin
Radar Now

Not exactly "sailing" apps, but very useful for the night crossing, an app called "dimmer" turns the screen brightness all the way down. Then another app called "screen filter" turns it down even more. Otherwise my tablet was killing my night vision. Just don't forget to kill these two or you'll have to take it to a dark room to see it in the morning.

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 10-01-2012

jkrause is on a distinguished road

My sweetie and I both installed Navionics on our iThings to use as backups for cruises this past summer (Lake Michigan & the Pacific NW). It was about $40 - the most I've ever spent on an app. I found it extremely intuitive, easy to use, and very accurate. It also has access to tide data and can create/measure routes. It only took me a few minutes to download charts over a wi-fi connection. I downloaded another set almost as quickly over a 3G network. It's also easy to set display units (E.g. depth and speed).

While this might seem obvious, a key feature is its ability to download and store maps on your handheld device. The significance is that once you download the charts, you have the map data even if you're not in cellphone range. (Many of the places we visit have no cell coverage.)

But it's just an app- and while it doesn't provide things like AIS, it's still a pretty amazing tool.

Last edited by jkrause; 10-01-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-01-2012

sealover is on a distinguished road

Original poster here - Since the first post in 2010 I've "drank the Kool-Ade" and got an iPhone 4 (non S). The neat thing is the Navionics app still works fine on the Droid with no cell service. I have it for the iPhone too, but take the droid when on a longer trip or in the threat of rain. Its in a zip lock bag and if it drowns or falls overboard -- no big deal.

And I still haven't found a free iPhone equivalent to the great droid app "Currents" that shows the magnitude and direction of currents in the Chesapeake - and predicts them well into the future. Tide charts don't spell it out - there could be a strong southern current through Kent Narrows while the main channel is slack or slightly northern. I use a 2 HP egg beater for an outboard and Bay currents approach the hull speed of my little boat. These things matter to me!

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Old 10-01-2012

jkrause is on a distinguished road

Your post nudged me to consider bringing my old, outdated iThing (which still has a functioning GPS & WiFi) as a backup on our next trip. Thx for that suggestion.

Tide Graph is a nice app, but really limited in its Canadian tidal stations. Perhaps you know of something better? If someone figures out how to put the Canadian Current Atlas on an App, they will make some $.

Yes, isn't the KoolAid so sweet! (getting sleepy.....)
Old 10-01-2012

Giantjunk is on a distinguished road

"Currents" Great App suggestion. Thanks, I just downloaded on my trusty droid. I also like the App "MarineTraffic."