Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2010

eMKay is on a distinguished road
First REAL sail on Revival...

14kt winds with 15kt gusts, I kid you not, 6pm to 8pm, check the link...

NDBC - Station BUFN6

A perfect southwest wind to try the new main and the 10 year old, in nice shape 110 roller furling jib (no genoa, until today didn't know why he had a 110 made) What we found out was, the new main alone drives the boat very well with less weather helm than before. With both sails out we were just on the edge of being overpowered. Maybe 15% of the boats had both sails out today. So 10-15kts seems to be right, any more and we need either a reef or a couple rolls on the furler, something I completely forgot we could do until we were ready to put it away.

Anyway, in 14kt winds we were at hull speed with a new main and 110 jib, passing genoa or main only boats like they were standing still. We ran down a Newport 30, a Hunter 25.5, and a couple smaller boats with both sails up. The green Morgan 30 "Ranger" passed us easily, as did a Beneteau 31 "Innsfree" both boats we see regularly.

Revival sails closer to the wind than my O'day did, and does so with much less leeway, but still not as close as the better boats. She's pretty stiff but we were regularly heeled over to 25 degrees, most time at 15 or less. She does not track straight at all, lots of weather helm in gusts, I need to get the tuning right or have someone look at it for me.

Best day of sailing I've ever had though. I love the boat, just gotta work out the kinks and finish the deck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
is it optical illusion or is the mast raked back? Don't know how that mainsheet control works .. looks like it's sheeted windward.. but again I don't know. Glad you had a great day! Doldrums here!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2010

Yes the mast is raked back a little, raking forward will help right?

Old 06-25-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I think that may add to the weather helm. I had a hunter 23 a few yrs ago. mast rake really affected it.. on my O30 I've not tried yet.

my current "project"!
Old 06-25-2010

The manual says rake forward to reduce weather helm, everything else I see says rake it back.

Old 06-25-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
em - dude! Very nice!

Man that mainsail looks beautiful. It's really cool to see you getting that thing out on the water after all the work you've done. Must be truly satisfying.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-25-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
@eMKay, awesome and that is a big boat. You sail it single handed? What kind of boat is it?

"The sound of the sea, is becoming very familiar to me."
Old 06-26-2010

Maxboatspeed is on a distinguished road
Whoa

Cool lookin boat. A Hunter 27, 197? Nice main, jibs less nice, main sheet/traveler ain't great.
Sounds like the boat goes great. You want performance advice?
Changing mast rake (this boat) could help ya. It's just not the first thing to mess with, or adjust.
It's all ballance between the forces - yes.
If gusts caused you to heel 25 degrees, you were "overpowered" and should expect wx helm or loss of helm.
That main looks nice. Look into trim and attempt to ballance the boat with sails. Outhaul, Cunningham, Traveller, jib leads, and maybe reefing. Changing mast rake - not yet.
Honestly, what you need is a fancy new jib to match the main. It's only money.
Unlike some performance boats, it is unusual to adjust mast rake on a boat like this, and it's likely not the best first step.
Anyway, safe sailing, good luck. You'll go faster!
Max
Old 06-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailguy40 View Post
@eMKay, awesome and that is a big boat. You sail it single handed? What kind of boat is it?
No I haven't singlehanded yet. Docking is still tricky, I need my wife at the bow with the boat hook. It's a 1980 Hunter 27

Old 06-26-2010
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Looks great! Kids and I are heading out this afternoon and I hope we have as good a day as you did. You will get the trim figured out.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25