Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Fellow Sailnet member in trouble

I received this email from a long time member this morning. I don't know Ed personally but have communicated with him about some rigging once.
I wish I were in a position to help, but I'm not. I am starting this thread in the hope that someone or someones can help or come up with some ideas for him.
He doesn't know that I'm starting a thread.

"I'm writing this with tears in my eyes, my family and I came down here to North Wales, United Kingdom for a short vacation. unfortunately, we were mugged at the hotel park where we stayed, all cash and credit card were stolen off us but luckily for us we still have our passports with us.

We've been to the Embassy and the Police here but they're not responding to the issue effectively and our flight leaves in few hours from now but we're having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us check out until we settle the bills. Well I need you to loan me £1,150...will def refund it as soon as we arrive back. I PROMISE!:"

He has written to some family members also but hasn't received a response yet.
Any body have any ideas? I'm thinking that there may be a member in Britain that could possibly step up.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2010

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
This is a common scam email from a hijacked email account.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 06-27-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanbc View Post
This is a common scam email from a hijacked email account.

I was a little afraid of that, I will send a pm to be sure. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2010

Ed responded to my PM

I sent "Ed" a PM and an email telling "him" that as soon as he responded to the pm I would wire him some money. (even though I am not really in a position to do so)

This is the email I received back.

well their is an internet problem in UK at the moment and I can't access my sailnet account here. Moreover, are you doubting me or what?

Hmmmm.
I think that I can safely say that I am experiencing some doubt about now.
But just in case, does anyone know if the UK is experiencing "internet problems at the moment?

OK, As I was writing this, I did in fact receive an answer to my PM.
Is it possible that someone could Hijack a Sailnet account?

Somebody has to help me out here, I'm at a loss. I want to believe him but I don't want to be taken for a sap.
Old 06-27-2010

Ed, I'm sorry to doubt you, but everybody I'm talking to says that I would be a fool to send you money without confirming that you are really Ed.

Just tell me this, What was the question I needed to ask you when I called you in response to your lifeline job?
Old 06-27-2010

ereiss is on a distinguished road
This Is Really Embarrassing

You kidding me..what a million question?? well if you don't feel like helping me...let me know and stop asking silly question
Freedom F38 #154
out of Marion, MA
Old 06-27-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Scammers always seem to have grammatical errors. "Cash and card" instead of cash and cards. "Park" instead of parking lot. Most people would not write "with tears in my eyes" to someone they hardly know. I think that's called physiological profiling, saying things that make it hard to ignore because it taps into your feelings.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereiss View Post
You kidding me..what a million question?? well if you don't feel like helping me...let me know and stop asking silly question

Well "Ed", since we have never spoken to each other in our lives, it was actually a pretty easy question. A trick question yes, but really easy.
You just blew it.
Old 06-27-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Not passing the smell test. If nothing else: Would the real individual in question really respond in such a manner as "You kidding me..what a million question?? well if you don't feel like helping me...let me know and stop asking silly question?"

Not hardly.

Somebody who knows the man needs to get ahold of him ASAP, and not via the Internet, to let him know his PC has almost certainly been compromised and that everything he's done with it, incl. any on-line banking or other financial accounts, has very likely also been compromised.

Jim
Old 06-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Not passing the smell test. If nothing else: Would the real individual in question really respond in such a manner as "You kidding me..what a million question?? well if you don't feel like helping me...let me know and stop asking silly question?"

Not hardly.

Somebody who knows the man needs to get ahold of him ASAP, and not via the Internet, to let him know his PC has almost certainly been compromised and that everything he's done with it, incl. any on-line banking or other financial accounts, has very likely also been compromised.

Jim
You're right Jim, The mod squad is on the job as we speak.