SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Bermuda Rally Update (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/65994-bermuda-rally-update.html)

danielgoldberg 06-27-2010 06:16 PM

Bermuda Rally Update

Hey all. I know it's been a while. I hope everyone is doing well that that your seasons have been enjoyable.

Just thought I'd post a short update on the rally. I'll post something more extensive in the coming weeks, once the fleet all returns home and they send me pictures with some write-ups of their own experiences.

We left at 7:30 a.m. on Sunday, June 20 as scheduled, and we had absolutely fantastic wind. About 15 to 20 or so out of the southwest. That wind held for about 36 hours. It was glorious, as the entire fleet screamed at hull speed out of Gardiner's Bay, around Montauk, and into the Atlantic. We also had a great Gulf Stream setup, so we had fair current along the rhumbline (just about) for 200 miles or so.

The first 24 hours were a bit bouncy because there were some left over seas from a prior front, but boy was it fun! We had one day (Tuesday) with very light wind, so that was a motoring day, but at that point we were heading down a long meander, so if you have to motor, you might as well get a 2 to 3.5 knot push.

The wind came back during the Tuesday overnight, and held all the way to Bermuda. To put it in perspective, we made the trip in 4 days and 3 hours, we motored for about 25 hours or so in total, and we did the whole thing on starboard tack. We spent a whole lot of time sailing over 8 knots, and we touched 9kts several times too. Best trip I've ever taken.

But perhaps most importantly (and only to highlight my childish nature) is what happened Wednesday evening before we arrived on Thursday. During that evening sked we figured that Tania on "Avocation" (Swan 48 of Hank Schmitt & Offshore Passage Opportunities fame) was about 17 miles ahead of us with 60 to go. She had lost her main halyard so she was motor-sailing with her genny only. Well, needless to say, we had our mission. We shook out the reef we had in, and took off hand steering all night long as fast as we could push "Another Miracle" along. At about 4:30 a.m. or so, we looked over to starboard and saw a red running light. You guessed it, we caught her, and we ended up getting in to port a few hours ahead of her. Never mind that this wasn't a race, Tania most assuredly wasn't racing, she had lost her main, or any other "details." From my perspective, we beat Tania on a Swan 48 thoroughbred, and those are the only facts I intend to remember!

All joking aside, it was a great trip for just about everyone, and we had a blast in Bermuda too. Mark Soares and his mom Sandra from Bermuda Yacht Services in St. George's took great care of us, including hosting our party sponsored by Bacardi. The mayor was there and said a few words, and a genuine great time was had by all.

At this point, the fleet is starting the return trip home. The larger faster boats are leaving tonight and tomorrow, and the smaller guys are going to leave later in the week (weather windows are a bit dicey at the moment). Another Miracle is leaving this evening with my delivery skipper bringing her home. You can track the fleet on iBoat Track - About (click the link on the right-hand side of the page for the 2010 Bermuda Cruising Rally, and you can figure it out from there).

Again, I'll post something more substantial, with some pix. We'll also have a page on our site, and I'm sure at some point there will be an article somewhere, but I just wanted to touch base and let everyone know that the rally went off very well this year. In case you are interested, here's the fleet, with skippers:

"Avocation," Swan 48; Tania Aebi.
"Another Miracle," Beneteau 49; Dan Goldberg (me)
"Taronga," Passport 50; Jim Malkin
"Monarae," Amel 53; Frank McCarroll
"Trinity," Freedom 36; Mike Maggiacomo
"Arioso," Pacific Seacraft 34; John Kauer
"Isabella," Cape Dory 33; George Van Drasek
"Seas the Day 3," Hunter 38; Eddie Frank
"Prarie Gold," Catalina 350; Phil Haydon

Have a good one all!

paulk 06-27-2010 08:23 PM

Sounds like you're ready for the real thing now: Newport Bermuda Race 2010 > Home
Good luck!

jimmalkin 07-20-2010 03:33 PM

Paul - Ya break enough stuff cruising, why would you want to race and make it uncomfortable, too? Dan did a wonderful job and the Soares are terrific people in St. George. We passed Bermuda race boat in the Gulf Stream on the way back home who had broken their steering cable - although they didn't want help, they had their work cut out for them with a short tiller on a big boat in the slop of the GS with a moderate northerly flow of air. (Their autohelm couldn't hold the boat on course.) Anyway - hats off to you racers - but despite Dan's competitive adrenaline at beating (?) Tania's broken boat, the BCR is a lovely way to go.

Best -