SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Marine Plumbing Standards

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a source for marine standards? In particular, I''m seking information on what types of valves and fittings should be used for marine plumbing installations. I am assuming that there would be different standards for drinking water versus raw or waste water; pressurized versus non-pressurized; above waterline versus below waterline, etc. I''ve done some searching on the web but so far have come up blank. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
The American Boat & Yacht Council (ABYC) publishes "Standards & Recommended Practices for Small Craft" - but I don''t recall a specific section on PLUMBING.

(url)www.abycinc.org(/url)

West Marine publishes "Advisors" on plumbing and other subjects.

(url)westmarine.com(/url)

Do you have any specific questions?

Regards,
Gord

#3 ·
The American Boat & Yacht Council (ABYC) publishes "Standards & Recommended Practices for Small Craft" - but I don''t recall a specific section on PLUMBING.

<www.abycinc.org>

West Marine publishes "Advisors" on plumbing and other subjects.

<www.westmarine.com

Do you have any specific questions?

Regards,
Gord

#6 ·
You need to look at this like this,plumbing a boat is kind of a do what works best thing. Below the water bronze fittings are best with shut off valves on all openings and bonded so as to protect them from electrolisis. above the water you can use some PVC but again bronze is best for strength. Many boats are plummed during the decking stage of building and it is very hard to make changes later as the boat is built over the plumbing. Remember if you are sailing and the boat is healed over it may take water through a through hull if that line has no loop that is as high as you can get it up the sheer. Some hoses may need a one way flapper to keep this from happining. Saniflex is a good way to replace any waste hose it is tough and a little heat makes it slide on a tight fitting fair enough. You can buy some thin wall water or bilge line hose but it kinks real easy so I stay away from it. Double clamp anything you can get two clamps on making sure they clamps are apposed of each other.Don''t forget to bond all fittings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.