SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

So finally after 8 years . . .

3K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Omatako 
#1 ·
. . . of being on this board I am calling it a day.

Life is too short to sit and stare at blank screens and seeing messages like "Done but with errors on the page" or "Waiting for http\\sailnet . . . . ." or just "Done" and a blank screen. Or just waiting for the pages to open that take an eternity. :mad:

A while ago I saw somewhere on the board a moderator or someone who said that Sailnet is faster now but to be honest I have not bothered tracking the thread down to respond to it because I'm not sure I'll live long enough to see the page open.

ANY other website on my system opens in the blink of an eye - Sailnet is just incredibly slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

So maybe one of the moderators will PM me if the site ever gets some surgery done that makes it usable.

Until then, see ya later. :( :(

#2 ·
Bummer dude. I hate to see you bail. You're one of my favorite salts around here. Hopefully things will speed up for you soon...either that, or you'll slow down like me and not notice so much.

Honestly, I'm not seeing much of a speed problem on my end. But this kind of stuff can always be strange.

Fair winds and sail hard Oma.

#3 ·
Sorry to be losing you; your input has been valued. But I do understand, SN has been ridiculously slow at times for me too - especially in areas where bandwidth is limited to begin with!

Fair winds, j. eryka

#5 ·
It has had its problems and quirks, but I honestly can't say any more or worse than other sites.

""Done but with errors on the page" or ..."Done" and a blank screen." Sound like problems in MSIE with "Compatiility View" being needed for sites that use (ahem) obsolete HTML code, as parts of this one do. You might try poking around for settings like that, and reconsider. (I don't get into browser battles, I only note that some offer better options or performance than others, and only one "is" standard, like it or not.)

#6 ·
Have you tried firefox and chrome?

Maybe a different browser will work better for you.

#7 ·
Andre,
Australia has one of the slowest broadband speeds on the planet yet I don't have any of the problems you speak about. I'd second the 'try Firefox' suggestion.
Very sorry to see your resolve. You're a goodun mate.
Regards
Andrew

ps - I do visit AS and SA on a regular basis. they are for me no faster or slower nor more ore less problematic than Sailnet.

#13 ·
Andre,

I would be sorry to see you go. Your experience and insight will be missed. There are a few people here who though they may not always post frequently, when I do spot one of their posts I always stop and read and you are firmly in that category.

I know hearing this doesn't help your issue, but I am in Oz and Sailnet while not lightning fast, has always loaded fine on the couple of connections I use here.

I am Not an IT nut, but there are a few around here, surely someone could spend some time talking with Andre, to see if there is an easy fix here??

It would be a real shame to loose a long standing member who is an experienced blue water sailor because of a potentially fixable technical hitch.

#14 ·
It would be a real shame to loose a long standing member who is an experienced blue water sailor because of a potentially fixable technical hitch.
Amen to that! Wish we could help with more precise info/reasons, but it's a puzzle, esp to those of us not experiencing problems.

#15 ·
We've (i.e the mod squad and admin) started a discussion about this behind the scenes. Due to some silly holiday :)eek:) the Americans are all AWOL so we won't get much useful info until mid week I'd guess.

That said I did look at site stats over at Alexa and according to them, of the major sailing sites (SailNet, Sailing Anarchy, Cruisers Forum and YBW) Sailnet is the fastest. Go figure.

Nonetheless I'll try and keep you all updated.

#16 ·
We've (i.e the mod squad and admin) started a discussion about this behind the scenes. Due to some silly holiday :)eek:) the Americans are all AWOL so we won't get much useful info until mid week I'd guess.

That said I did look at site stats over at Alexa and according to them, of the major sailing sites (SailNet, Sailing Anarchy, Cruisers Forum and YBW) Sailnet is the fastest. Go figure.

Nonetheless I'll try and keep you all updated.

Maybe if we got Rob to send in a big furry rodent we could get the mice in the basement to go that little bit faster??

#17 ·
To me, it seems the site has gotten faster in the last few months. It "appears" there is more maintenance being done now than before with advertising and such. That, and seeing regular postings from the administrator on changes... I'm a happy camper! :D

#20 ·
connecting on dial up

Hi,

I am connecting on dial up and it is working fine,not terribly fast but certainly not slow or stuck usually. For some sites I have to disable my Norton security to get them to load properly . In fact this morning I ditched it completely for another antivirus .

#21 ·
Well, he can't be that frustrated with Sailnet, since he still appears to be posting.

#22 ·
I'm finding SailNet is loading lightning fast at the moment as has been all weekend.

Using Firefox but I have disabled AdBlock for the time being.

Others ?

#23 ·
It's been fine on the browsers I use—Camino, Safari, Firefox, and Chrome.

#24 ·
I thought I might just report that after some advice from members I did a few things and finally settled on Google Chrome which appears to be best for me. I can now use SN without screaming at my screen.

Thanks for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.