Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Steiner binuclear with Compass?

Is it worth to pay double to get a Steiner? Is this is a case of you get what you pay for item?

Steiner - 7x50 Observer C Binocular with Compass - 685 - B&H

Sorry for the typo: Binocular

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 07-04-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Typo in the heading
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2010

DavidD. is on a distinguished road
Re Steiners

Years ago, while shopping for marine binos, I had looked through several manufacturers scopes at the retailers. I didn't see how Steiners could justify their incredibly high prices. The shop owner knew I wouldn't be buying Steiner but offered me a pair to see the difference with all the other brands. I took them out into the street and looked through them, and I WAS ABSOLUTELY BLOWN AWAY!!!!! The clarity of their optics was nothing short of spectacular. It was hard to look through any other binos after that but I am not a wealthy man , so I had to settle on a pair of Fujinon w/compass. I had researched the brands and knew that Japanese optics where very good quality, and have enjoyed them for many years. Steiners are in their own league and I guess it depends on how much use you will get out of them relative to the pricetag.
Old 07-04-2010

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
This really depends on what you plan to use them for. They are a great optics, but again it depends on how you will use them. I do not believe that this pair is stabilized (another $500 will do that), so in rough weather on a boat they are not going to be that much better than a $100 pair from someone else. $150 I think with a compass in them.

If they are for your personal use, you take care of things, and you want to spend the dollars......they are very nice. If you share them around the boat, sailing in rough weather, have kids and friends that drop things, etc......you can bust 3-4 pair of lesser expensive optics for the price of one.
Old 07-04-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidD. View Post
Years ago, while shopping for marine binos, I had looked through several manufacturers scopes at the retailers. I didn't see how Steiners could justify their incredibly high prices. The shop owner knew I wouldn't be buying Steiner but offered me a pair to see the difference with all the other brands. I took them out into the street and looked through them, and I WAS ABSOLUTELY BLOWN AWAY!!!!! The clarity of their optics was nothing short of spectacular. ....
I had the same experience at night, I mean comparing the Steiners with the top of the range from Silva. It was on the Dusseldorf boat show, 9 years ago. On those conditions (interior light - weak light) the Silva were superior, in definition and clarity. I was there to buy the Steiner and end up buying the Silva . However they don't have an integrated compass, but they are waterproof and they float.

Silva Eterna Marine Binocular

Last edited by PCP; 07-04-2010 at 05:49 PM. Reason: link
Old 07-04-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
For a pair of Steiner's or Fujinon's - yes.

The optics are superb, the light collection and correlation top shelf, the reliability as good as it gets.

However, if you're an occasional user, they're going to be hard to justify. My Fuji's which I bought in 1992 cost me $500 and today, they're as good as the day I opened the box. I use them a lot, don't baby them, and find them as essential as a depth sounder or GPS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-05-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You do tend to get what you pay for. The steiner optics are far better and will give you a brighter image in low light conditions, since they will generally transmit more light with higher contrast. I have a set of Steiners that are my personal use set, and have a set of West marine ones for others to use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-06-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Talking

Captains, thanks for the inputs.

I took a plunge and ordered a Steiner 7x50 Commander V w/ Compass Binocular. The best price I could get is $680.

I will be using it for coastal navigation DR; may be ocean crossing down the road, but not sure how useful it will be in the big pond.

Two weeks ago, I took the ASA 106 Delmarva circumnavigate course. On the second day, the instructor turned off the GPS and Chart plotter. He has a cheap West Marine bino with compass, what a piece of junk. My philosophy has always been do it right the first time, so I bought this one and done with it (I hope). This should last for a long time and I can pass it onto my son. Oh boy, he is a lucky man. He gets all my toys.

The Steiner will be here on Thursday, just in time for my 3 1/2 day sailing trip this weekend. I will report to back regarding its performance.

Fair winds and calm seas.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.