Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Close encounter of the whale kind

SD bay was out of control today, looked like the 4th of July scene right out of Jaws so we decided to spend the day outside looking for grays where the crazies were few and far between. We traversed the usual grounds and came away with squat, so we decided to head in, BBQ some dogs and watch fireworks. We were about a mile or less off the point when a 30+ foot gray surfaced off our port, when she submerged again her fluke was less then 10 foot off my port 1/4; We had 3 damn cameras aboard and no one thought to snap some pictures, we all went brain dead with awe and surprize, well, that and trying to get some space between us. The thought had hit me and my wife pretty quick but it took the rest of our crew a bit of time to realize that we just missed a pretty nasty encounter by seconds.

Anywho, after countless trips in search of we finely scored, a little closer than I like, but good eough

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2010

F4d3d is on a distinguished road
Wow, that sounds fantastic! Too bad you missed the photo op.
Old 07-05-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Great memory for the 4th!

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 07-06-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Isn't that 'so' typical about not having a camera ready? You got a lot closer than we've gotten to the grays, but I didn't know any were running now...maybe it was a straggler.

We saw you're boat coming in last Thrusday, and we both commented on good your teak looked.
Old 07-06-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
Isn't that 'so' typical about not having a camera ready? You got a lot closer than we've gotten to the grays, but I didn't know any were running now...maybe it was a straggler.

We saw you're boat coming in last Thrusday, and we both commented on good your teak looked.
Hey Jiffy, yeah, it was a little too close; I looked up mitgration cause I thought it was kinda late too, but it said through late spring, ( a straggler )but, also said further out were we spent most the day.

Teak is coming along slowly and it sure feel good to start seeing an end to it for awhile, get to spend more time out on the water

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 07-06-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Close encounter

I hit a whale in 2008 while transiting down the Washington coast.

Earlier in the day we had seen several whales spouting and even breaching off the coast. Later that night at midnight, I was just going up for my turn at watch when we hit hard enough to shake the entire boat. It was more like a big thud instead of a rap. We all froze in position waiting for the next shoe to drop but after a few seconds it was apparent we were all OK so we carried on as usual. A few days later I had a haul out and all of the bottom paint that had been applied just three months earlier had been rubbed off of the leading edge of my keel.

So, what does this all mean? Be prepared for all possible contingencies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.