SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Naming a new boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/66251-naming-new-boat.html)

Daveinet 07-07-2010 08:11 AM

Naming a new boat

Well I've been trying to come up with a name for the new boat, but have not been successful yet. Before I bought the boat, I thought Ketch 22 would have been a good one, but I don't own a ketch.
My first serious thought was "Equal Time". The idea being that hopefully I could spend as much time sailing it as I spend fixing it. DW ruined that idea. Equal Time to her meant spending as much time on the honey do list as I spend working on the boat. That idea's out.
Then I thought of "Trailer Trash", but if I ever get 8-foot-itis, that name would make it impossible to sell.
So still trying to come up with something.

F4d3d 07-07-2010 09:50 AM

Since I'm in the market for a boat (my first!), I've been thinking of names lately too. I'm not superstitious about keeping a vessel name the same, so if the boat I buy has a silly name, I will be changing it. My criteria are:

Original - I don't want my boat named the same thing as 100 other boats. It needs to be unique and personal. I'm a music lover, so maybe a reference to a rock 'n' roll theme or song or something. Call me a dork if you will.

Short - If, and when, I have to spell my vessel name phonetically, I don't want to spend too much time messing around with a 20 character boat name. This is difficult since I have come up with a couple good names, but I think they're a bit long.

Hmmm, I guess that's a pretty short list of criteria. :) I think maybe when I finalize the purchase of a boat, a name will jump out at me. Now, I just have to buy a boat!

doubleeboy 07-07-2010 10:18 AM

We in the end kept the name our boat came with but our second choice was the combination of our two maternal grandmother's first names. My wife and I were both very fond of our grandmothers so it was a no brainer, plus they had pretty names that are no longer common. Just a thought.

michael

rmeador 07-07-2010 10:23 AM

I've been slowly working towards buying a boat for about two years now. I've kept a list of potential names stored in my phone, and at any time something pops into my head, day or night, it goes on the list. I've got about 50 names on the list right now, including the one I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with... maybe after I decide for sure, I'll share some of the other ones I came up with (I put an offer on a boat last friday).

mpickering 07-07-2010 11:42 AM

My wife and I allowed our dog to name our boat. He's an Australian Cattle Dog also known as a Queensland Heeler. And since sailboats heel over, it has a double meaning. As it is the dog doing naming and boats heel over sharply, it can get a little "ruff".

So the whimsical "Ruff Heeler". At least no one will accuse us of borrowing from someone else! :)

The sailing dinghy I am restoring is the "Mini Heeler".

Goofy yes but we like it. It was supposed to be the name of our previous O'Day 22 but we never got around to doing a proper renaming ceremony on her so she kept her original name for the entire time we owned her. So we saved the name for our C-27.

I have no idea what we'll name our follow-on boat. Probably not a variation on Heeler since it will likely be a Gemini or Atlantic catamaran. They don't heel (good boat).

Matt

Daveinet 07-07-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpickering (Post 620228)
... since it will likely be a Gemini or Atlantic catamaran. They don't heel (good boat).Matt

Oh common, you don't just pop that thing up on one pontoon?