Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010

Kiltmadoc is on a distinguished road
Question Lifeline Netting Alternatives?

We have a VERY active 3 year old, and part of the reason we bought our current boat was that it already came with netting strung along the stanchions/lifelines. What our 3 year discovered for us, is that the netting is as reliable as spaghetti. Every time he "touches" the netting, another hole opens up. Now, it looks like crap and we have come to realize that the netting is for peace-of-mind more than function.

I recently saw another boat with kids on board (slightly older than our kid), and they had strung line between the lower life line and the toe rail in a zig-zag pattern.

Some questions in that regard:
1. Would this arrangement be strong enough to slow his descent into the ocean?
2. What kind of line do people use? I am thinking nylon braided seine twine.
3. What kind of knot (if any) do people use on the vinyl-coated life line to keep the twine from slipping?
4. Do people run the twine from stern to bow in one continuous run, or do you break it up?
5. Are there any reasonable ways, that dont look like a psychedelic spider web, to string twine between the upper and lower life lines?

Any other ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Why not replace the netting? The problem with your netting is that the material is UV-damaged, which is typical if it has been up for a few years. If you do the zig-zag pattern, you'll likely need to make it a fairly tight pattern to prevent your kid from making a hole large enough to slip through. The netting is far more likely to last long enough that you won't need to replace it again before you kid is old enough to keep himself aboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 07-08-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-08-2010

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
My self, I feel that breaking it up would make repair/replacement easier in case of a break.

Prussic knot should work to keep it from slipping around, and still allow adjustment.

Easy way would be to zig-zag it between the life lines a couple times with comfortable spacing, and use short lengths to tie the crossings, then tie at the life lines. other wise you could tie crossings as you make them using the working line, but you give up easy(?) adjustment

Unless the kids are going to be in sight constantly, keep the spacing pretty tight, wider spacing could allow smaller people/arms/legs/heads to slip between strands that could cause serious injury.

Watch tension, so you don't bow your life lines towards each other.
Done carefully it can look pretty nice

Brick layers twine has a 100 pound working load, is pretty cheap (99 cents/100ft at local hardware, cheaper in larger lengths) is treated to hold up under sunlight, and comes in a few different colors ( not actually for decor, but to avoid confusion on job sites where there are several crews. I'd go with white, because the color does fade after a while in the sun.
can get braided or twisted

Ken.
Old 07-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you go with line, get a darker color, since they tend to be more UV resistant than the lighter colors.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-08-2010

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
I'm on year 4 with the netting I strung from the middle lifeline to the deck to keep our Pug (they don't swim) from slipping overboard with no breakage issues. You are talking Big Bucks when you add netting.

On my LOA of 35ish I had to use about 50' x 12" because of the curve on each side so I think I ordered 150' at just under $100 I think. Now that's not "rope bordered" which is much more expensive. I run and zip tie a line from stanchion to stanchion at the gunwale level and attach with a few hundred wire zip ties to that and the middle life line. I don't remember the strength numbers but your 3 year old could not break through the net - when it was new or 5 years old.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 07-08-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I'd just replace the netting.
Old 07-08-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We used line to make the 'zig zag' lacing you mentioned when our son was a toddler.. worked great, esp if you have a perforated aluminum toerail. Otherwise you'll need to put down some padeyes or, as we did, run a taut line between stanchions low to the deck (like another lifeline) and laced to that.

We used simple clove hitches on the turns, used standard small cord you can find in any chandlery. It lasted for years - also kept the sails on deck.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 07-08-2010

xsboats is on a distinguished road
I used mesh bags manufactured for clam farming as netting on my boat. The bags are 4'x4' and can withstand uv for years without failure.[going on 7 years now] They can be cut to size,can have pockets installed for dockline and fender storage, and were about $3.00 each.
Old 07-08-2010

Kiltmadoc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboats View Post
I used mesh bags manufactured for clam farming as netting on my boat. The bags are 4'x4' and can withstand uv for years without failure.[going on 7 years now] They can be cut to size,can have pockets installed for dockline and fender storage, and were about $3.00 each.
Got any web links or places to find these type of bags?
Old 07-08-2010

bruceyp is on a distinguished road
One of the first things I did was install netting on my C&C 29 because I wanted to bring my grandaughter aboard. I did a search on line and bought netting 24" x ?? and I don't think it cost quite $80. Four years later the wire ties are all that need checking. Some are becoming brittle. The netting is fine. it is tie-wrapped to my toerail and top wire and each stantion.
I believe the place I ordered from was in Seattle.
Just checked and it was cheaper than I remembered. 24" is $.64/ linear foot.(I have no connection with these people).
Boat Rail Netting
Check it out.
B