Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2010
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ34 View Post
Draft aft in a fairly flat sail can allow a tighter angle of attack (and less drag/heel) without backwinding the main.

If the sail is too full to reduce draft significantly then ease the outhaul a bit and use halyard and cunningham tension to move the draft forward into the shadow of the mast. This works but requires a lot of skill and attention to keep it in the groove.

The OP was asking about weather helm and wheel size, this is turning into Sail Trim Theory. There are plenty of excellent sources on that subject.

I am just trying to point out that there are possibly easier, more efficient solutions to his problem than up-sizing his wheel.
Fair enough, draft aft could allow higher pointing, but will also add weather helm, which I thought was the problem in the first place
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2010

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
Draft aft and twist aren't mutually exclusive.

Of course this is all monday morning quarter-backing. I would be very interested in Ichorniy's results.

Myself, I'm always looking for ways to improve sail trim and efficiency and am open to opinions.

Cheers
Old 07-17-2010

ichorniy is on a distinguished road
I have got edson 36Ē wheel on the craigslist; installed it on Friday and today we had fairly windy day with 12-15 knots gusting to 20 occasionally so we took boat for a test run.

I can tell that bigger wheel make a difference. Before close hauled in 15kt wind boat would heel 20-25 degree and I would be straggling with weather helm with my smallish wheel: at the end I will end up reefing. With new wheel weather helm is still present but I can control it with very little effort.

I was not able to steer from the side before at least not for long time. Now I can because I can reach the wheel and steering requires very little effort.

Wife was able to steer boat in 15kt on beam reach and downwind. She leaves clause hauled sailing for me but I am sure she will be able to steer in 10kt of wind with no problem.

Not to mention that I try to flatten the sail as much as I could with halyard tension and outhaul. I didnít even have to put the traveler down to reduce weather helm. I will save it for stronger winds.

Over all very happy with an upgrade, I should probably have done it sooner and not on my 3 year of ownership.

Thanks for all of the feedback and suggestions!

Next project would be to add Cunningham to the main.
Old 07-18-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
The steering wheel should be large enough to do the job and small enough to get around. Without climbing on the benches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 07-18-2010

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
Anything that makes your SO more comfortable is worth the effort.
Old 07-18-2010

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
A silly question, but what shape is your rudder in? Any chance the rudder post got bent in a grounding? I ask because I once owned a Hunter 27 and it had terrible weather helm, the tiller was cracking from the load. When it was hauled for the winter I took a look at the rudder, and I thought it looked bent backwards. I looked at several others in the marina, and some looked worse than mine! So igot dimensions from Hunter for verification. Mine was bent back, about four inches at the tip. I measured another boat at 11" of bend! So I pulled the rudder and straightened it. Quite a job hanging it from slings in a hydraulic press. Afterwards I could sali for upwards of half an hour without touching the tiller, just trimming the sails a touch here and there!

Gary H. Lucas
Old 07-18-2010

ichorniy is on a distinguished road
I don't think there is any problem with a rudder. There is no sign of any damage. It looks strait and it is no different when any other hunter 29.5 I was able to see.

I only get weather helm when wind pipes up to over 15 kt and boat start to heel15-25degree. I looked at Hunter forum and every owner complains that boat get over powered by main in over 15 kt and suggests reefing early.