Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2010

diogenes726 is on a distinguished road
Tartan 27 For Sale

1968 Tartan 27 with Yanmar diesel. Needs some work. No centerboard. Sails well. $2000. Located in St. Augustine, FL
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I have always liked these boats and consider them one of the best designs of this size, (normal) price and era. I would suggest that you explain more about the work that is needed and also explain what you know about replacing the centerboard. (In my experience with these boats, they do not sail all that well without their centerboards).

Respectfully,
Jeff

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 07-12-2010

Thank you for the advise, Jeff. I have read many of your posts and have great respect for your experience.
I have only known this boat without the pendant, so I cannot tell the difference, but really do enjoy sailing her and rarely have noticed lacking the centerboard. I am able to sail the ICW around St. Augustine, out the inlet and even under the Bridge of Lions under sail alone (mostly).
As to needed work, well, the interior has been partly dismantled, but the berths, and galley are intact. I figured for the money, what do you expect? but some local who wanted to purchase her balked at needed repairs.
Old 07-12-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I agree that a $2000 price for one of these boats would be a real bargain assuming the hull, rig and engine were essentially intact and repairable. If the centerboard is in the boat, but just isn't operable, then the repairs shouldn't be all that bad.

People often come to SailNet looking for inexpensive project boats that are suitable for distance cruisers. I always suggest that they start with a boat that began life as a good design which was well constructed. Certainly a boat like yours would be the poster child for a good design which was well constructed.

Hopefully you will find the right person to take her off your hands. Also, thank you for your kind words.

Regards,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 07-12-2010

So a buyer wants the boat delivered to Sarasota. Anyone know what kind of trip that is from St Augustine?
Old 07-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It's about 240 miles via land, and a lot longer via water—probably close to 750 nm if you go around Florida. Also, the oil spill presents a problem with taking it via the water, as you may run into it...

However, there is the Okeechobee Waterway, which cuts across Florida from Ft. Myers to Stuart (west to east), and cuts about 250 NM from the trip.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 07-12-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2010

Unless you have a very reliable engine I would not want to take the canal across. I would suggest that you plan on cruising around the outside to Sarasota. Assuming you are right about the centerboard not affecting performance much, you should be able to make the trip in a series of comparatively short hops in three weeks or or so.

Jeff

Old 07-13-2010

Trip inland

Oh .my! I trust the engine, but had no idea it was that long. Took 4 days to go from Ft. Lauderdale to St. Augustine when I bought her.
Obviously I passed on that buyer. Found a nice young man who wants to fix it up who lives locally, so now the Tartan has a new owner. Unbelievable the number of responses I did receive.