Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2010
Bucksport, Maine or Bust

truckmen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to truckmen Send a message via AIM to truckmen Send a message via Yahoo to truckmen Send a message via Skype™ to truckmen
Red face NYC - to - Bucksport, Maine in Aug/Sept

Hi all,

I am planning to sail my Tylercraft 26 from NYC (actually, Lindenhurst, long Island) to my home port of Bucksport, Maine, and would like to bounce a question off the group on what marinas are friendly to poor sailors who might need to either stop for the night or at least stop long enough to take showers and get something to eat, supplies, fuel, etc.

In the meantime, I am planning carefully, all aspects of the transit, having in place, navigation gear and equipment, charts, tide/current tables, USCG Coast pilot(s) and Light Lists, etc.

The only thing I am afraid of is stopping at night and having to pay dearly for overnight stays at marines just for a shower and such (I went to one site and read that fees are no less than 480 - $90 just for overnight). I am not averse to anchoring off somewhere near facilities but sure would like to try to clean up after a day of sail.

Could I just be too cheap and should plan to cough up these kinds of fees? My plan is to take 10 - 12 days for the transit.

Thanks in advance to all who have read and replied to this thread.

By the way, I will be doing a photo journal of this trip for future sailors and hope my experiences will help them in also having a safe and enjoyable experience.

Sincerely,

Ralph M Bohm/N5WPG
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2010

Capttman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Capttman
stop in the merrimac river in newburypot at the american yacht club, 15 dollars a night showers and close to town
Old 07-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Another option is some marinas will allow anchored out people to use their facilities after paying a nominal dinghy dock fee. That was the case in St. Augustine, and is probably the case in many other places.

I would point out that you probably don't need to shower everyday... doing so every other day or so would probably be okay in terms of hygiene. Human beings lived for many years without bathing EVERYDAY...which is a modern peculiarity if you think about it.

I am guessing that you will be heading up Buzzards Bay and going through the Cape Cod Canal, rather than going outside Cape Cod, which would be really inadvisable in a boat the size of yours. Be aware that if there is a SW wind of any real strength, entering the canal is a really bad idea. The current flowing out of the canal into a moderate to strong SW wind can create 10' standing waves that will bat a 26' boat around like a bathtub toy.

If you want to stop in New Bedford/Fairhaven, I can probably help you there. PM me if you are planning to do that.

I'd point out that a BoatUS membership, only about $15 with a discount code, will get you a discount at transient slips at a lot of marinas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-12-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Hi Ralph,

Did you have a route in mind?

I usually end up on the " coughing it up" side of the aisle. If I'm on vacation ( I'm not a full time cruiser) I like to know that I have a place to stay and a hot shower... Plus....waiting for me at the end of a days passage.

That said, I think you can find reasonable accomodations if you look for them.
If you are going up the East River to LIS, Port Jeff is a relatively inexpensive stop. I think the moorings are about $40 they come with launch service and they just built a new shower facility with a laundry. Port Jeff is a great little town.
On the Connecticut River, there's an anchorage called north cove, just past the Old Saybrook Marina, you can often find a mooring ball there. ( no Showers though) Block island, has anchorages, and town moorings and if you get up early, you might be able to use the showers at Champlins..
You can find anchorage on Cuttyhunk, no facilities.
Flyer's Marina has moorings in Provincetown, you want to make a reservation.
They have Launch service and facilities.

Generally speaking, IMO you are not going to find something for nothing at marinas on this route... But if you can live with a hot shower every other day or so and carry one of those sun shower kits, you can get away with a marina stop maybe every 3rd day? Moorings will be less expensive than a transient slip.

Pick up the cruising guide to New England ( it's a book) There's a wealth of information in it.
Old 07-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Tempest's book suggestion is a good one. The book covers Long Island Sound as well as all of New England's waters fairly well. It's a big fat book full of useful information.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-12-2010

paulk is on a distinguished road
Tempest is right. Moorings go for about $40/night at most of the clubs or marinas that we've used between CT and ME. It sounds like the costs you quoted are for a slip: $3.50/ft or more.

To help keep your "clean-up" costs down, you could get a SunShower. It will let you soap up and rinse off in the cockpit after you've anchored anywhere.

Port Jefferson, Duck Island Roads, Fishers Island, Point Judith, Block Island, and Onset offer good spots to anchor, especially for a smaller boat that doesn't draw much. The current near the Cape Cod Canal SW end can be fierce.
In Gloucester the Eastern Point Yacht Club has moorings and showers for visitors. Since it is right at the harbor entrance, it is NOT convenient for getting fuel or other supplies. The town is about a half hour further up the channel. We went from Gloucester straight up to Stonington; you are obviously more familiar than we are with Maine coast. Enjoy your cruise!
Old 07-12-2010
Telstar 28

If you're coming from Lindenhurst, you're coming east along the south side of Long Island, not in Long Island Sound, so Port Jeff, Duck Island and Fisher's Island don't make much sense for you, unless you're planning on going west to NYC and up to the LIS, which adds a lot to your trip. Basing the trip on making about 60 NM per day, you might want to do the following:

Shinnecook Inlet might be a good first night's stop. Don't know the harbor personally though, so someone who boats down on the south side of LI would better be able to speak about it.

The next stop might be Block Island. Holding isn't great and the place is packed on the weekends, but it should be doable if you're there during the week.

You have quite a few choices from Block Island. Cuttyhunk is a good choice, but not really covering the miles you'd want, and not much in the way of facilities there. Mattapoisett might be a better choice. Personally, I'd aim for Pocasset Harbor or Phinney's Harbor. These are two pretty good places to head for the CCC from.

Phinney's harbor is the better choice, as it is just east of the canal approach channel...but it is unprotected from the south/southwest. Either Phinney's or Pocassets is better than Onset since they don't require you to cross the shipping channel and they're both far easier to get into. Onset harbor's entrance is very shoaly.

After going through the CCC, mind the warnings about entering with a SW wind...head for Provincetown on the tip of the Cape, directly across Cape Cod Bay from the CCC.

Then head up to Great Misery Island. There's great anchorage just north of it.

A good stop from there would be Rockport, but it's a relatively short leg, only about 25 nm or so. The Sandy Bay Yacht Club has good facilities there.

Hope this helps.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-13-2010
Bucksport, Maine or Bust

truckmen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to truckmen Send a message via AIM to truckmen Send a message via Yahoo to truckmen Send a message via Skype™ to truckmen
Thumbs up A wealth on info, wow!

@ Capttman:
This must be the site:
American Yacht Club :: Home Page

Thanks for the tip Capttman. I am adding to my database of prospective stops.

@ Sailingdog:
Thanks for that info too. I am looking up the info at:
BoatUS.com: BoatUS Home Page

My transit will take me through the canal and I will time my entry with the tide/current. But I would be delighted to stop in New Bedford/Fairhaven along the way and meet up with you if the timing is right and you are available.

Also, you have a good point regarding showers. I admit I get spoiled with taking a nice long, hot one every day. But there's a small problem...and here-in lies the "rub"; I have invited my lady friend to accompany me on this transit. Thin of it as a test of her devotion to me (heh heh heh) - I figure that after this trip, we will either be totally in love or we will never see each other again. But I think she will need to shower more often. OK, okay, it's my excuse. It's really me. ;-)

@ Tempest:
Yes, I DO have a pretty comprehensive plan and this post is helping to fill the gaps. I am heading out from Lindenhurst, L. I. 9south shore) west to NYC. Stopping possibly on the New Jersey side near the Statue of Liberty. Then as tide/current allows, will drop back down and around the battery. Up the East River, through Hell Gate and on into the LIS. I have been looking at Northport and that area before crossing over to CT. So, you mention of Port Jeff is in keeping with that idea.
I haven't heard of the anchorage called North Cove, just past the Old Saybrook Marina, but will look at that too.
The other places you've mentioned will be looked into as well.
I am happy to hear number more like ~ $40 p/night. But that one place I looked (before this posting) up at ~$85 minimum scared the heck out of me.
I also think we can get by with missing a shower or 2.
The cruising guide to New England is on my list of books to pick up.

@ Paulk:
I read your additional info and am listing them and doing searches. By the way, This old 1972 fiberglass boat is a Tylercraft 26 and has a twin keel design allowing me that much more stability (if slower speed) as well as a 2.5' draft. So, I think I am doing well there with water under the keel.

My apologies for the long reply but many thanks guys, for your time in helping me with this invaluable info.

I am actually at sea at the moment writing to you through satellite Internet. I work in the Gulf of Mexico on a vessel doing a pipe-laying operation ~60 nm southwest of Port Fourchon.

Ralph M Bohm

Last edited by truckmen; 07-13-2010 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Adding to all the comments
Old 07-13-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Hi Truckman,

If you want that romance to blossom...I think you're on the right track trying to find a hot shower everynight. You didn't say what time of year you'll be taking this trp....but if it's soon...July, August....it's often HOT and windless on the Long Island Sound...etc.

If you can find marinas @ 2.50 ft. That's arouind $ 65.00 plus tax....really not too bad for this area.

My float plan for Boothbay...was Port Jeff, Old Saybrook, Block Island, Cuttyhunk, Onset, Provincetown, Boothbay.

Marina's in New York Harbor area can be expensive. You might check out the 79th street boat basin...Great Kills on Staten Island, Lincoln harbor on the Jersey Side might have a better rate than say Liberty Landing, which is expensive. There's also Newport Marina in Jersey City.

I would definitely recommend Port Jeff...The showers are Great!! nice town, great Bakery right across the street from the showers...friendly launch operators, free pump out station in the harbor....just keep an eye out for the ferries coming in and out, Time your entrance to the narrow harbor when they are not coming in or out with you. From the Battery, I'm guessing that Port Jeff is about 50 miles...hopefully you can catch an early morning run up the east river.

If you fuel up at Old Saybrook Point Marina...talk to Abby the Dockmaster, or one of the dockhands they might be able to lend you a key to the showers there...
Nice facility...with a pool and a laundry....if you decide to splurge and get a slip there....this will keep the first mate happy. There's a pretty good seafood restaurant just north of Saybrook point marina,
( walking distance ) Essex is another great stop on the connecticut river..just further up river.

It would help to carry a fair current up river, but sometimes you just can't time it coming over from port jeff....it's about a 40 mile crossing.
I don't know how much fuel you carry...but plan on doing a fair bit of motor sailing....if you are going to get where you're going. You might need to carry extra fuel? There will be times when you have an Early morning Start and the fuel docks aren't open yet.....so top up whenever you can!! Like the night before!

Old Saybrook, sets you up nicely for getting out the Race and on to Block Island. On Block Island you can anchor or hook up to one of the green town moorings. Champlins marina has showers. They are reserved for their customers, but I've seen others using them, if there's not a checker at the door. ( early morning) there's a free pumpout boat in Great Salt Pond, you can call him over on the Radio. Aldo's Bakery comes around in the mornings with a boat offering breads and pastries...listen for his call...Andiamooo..
I think he comes around in the afternoons with sandwiches now.

As you know, You have at least three major currents to time...The East River, the Race and the Cape Cod Canal. All three are critical. a 2010 copy of Eldrige tide and currents is essential ....

Have a great trip! When you get hot...stop the boat...and jump in for a swim!!

Last edited by Tempest; 07-13-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-13-2010
Telstar 28

Tempest—

He only has to deal with the first two if he goes west from his home port and up into Long Island Sound, which adds quite a bit of travel time to his journey.

With an eastward voyage, along the southern coast of Long Island, he's already got about six days of travel, out of his 10-12...and that doesn't account for weather delays or tide/current delays—like entering the CCC. And Bucksport, ME is still three days from there.

Quote:
As you know, You have at least three major currents to time...The East River, the Race and the Cape Cod Canal. All three are critical. a 2010 copy of Eldrige tide and currents is essential ....
Truckmen—

I'd highly recommend not going through NYC, since it will add at least two days to your schedule, and you're about at nine as it is, leaving you little or no margin for weather delays or sight-seeing. Pushing hard on a delivery is one thing, but I'm guessing, since you've got a guest along, you want to go at a bit more moderate a pace.

Depending on when you come through, I'd be happy to meet up with you and your guest. I can let you raft up to my boat at my marina as well, if I'm there. I'll PM you with contact info.

I'd agree with Tempest about carrying extra fuel, since fuel docks aren't always open, and you'll need to make some early starts to make it to your next port of call before dark.

I don't recommend entering some of the ports, like Rockport harbor, in the dark if you can avoid it. Be aware that there is a very wide and nasty submerged man-made breakwater northeast of Rockport Harbor and you really MUST go around it. I've seen boats hit it and the results are pretty ugly.

One thing that might help if your guest has to miss a shower is to buy some "Bath in a Bag" towelettes or wipes. That and some no-rinse shampoo will at least let her (and you) clean yourselves up a bit between showers.

Telstar 28
New England