Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2010
San Juan 21 MKII

lydanynom is on a distinguished road
Flags: Who flies what, where, and why?

I guess the answer to, "is it time to move this to a different thread and leave the political scoldings here?", was, "yes", since the politics only seems to be heating up in that thread, so I am taking the liberty of transplanting your questions and my comments in response here instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfok View Post
without even going into why Transocean working for BP in the American part of the gulf of Mexico flies a Malaysian flag ( another hornet nest to stir?) this flag stuff is Byzantine ( which has a pretty slick flag too).
This thread got my attention just as I was about to ask who flew what where, and why?
Images of flying the"quarantine yellow fever" signal flag because it matches my hat can keep me up at night. The last thing I want my flag to do is cause inadvertent offense. Intentional offense is okay though, in moderation.
You mentioned the skull and crossbones, which has been disneyized and whitewashed to a fair thee well, but I read and remember history and can't get past the rape pillage murder thing, however ironic.
The "its five o'clock somewhere" cocktails burgee just seems so mad men 1962.
Which leaves me stuck and still searching for something to string from the spreaders.
A friend suggested and I ordered an "earth" flag, and my ensigns are on the way. If I can find that old Rhode Island flag signifying "I hope my anchor don't drag" I'll get it.
What do others fly, what do they mean to people?
and is it time to move this to a different thread and leave the political scoldings here?
Quote:
The "its five o'clock somewhere" cocktails burgee just seems so mad men 1962.
Funny that you should mention it; in trying to look into all of this I also happened to learn that the Gin Pennant has a long history as at least a quasi-official naval signal.

On the wikipedia page for "Maritime flags" I found:

"A Gin Pennant means that the wardroom is inviting officers from ships in company to drinks. The origins of the Gin Pennant are uncertain, but it seems to have been used since the 1940s and probably earlier. Originally it was a small green triangular pennant measuring approximately 18 by 9 inches (460 by 230 mm), defaced with a white wine glass, nowadays the gin pennant is a Starboard pennant defaced with a wine or cocktail glass. Its colour, size and position when hoisted were all significant as the aim was for the pennant to be as inconspicuous as possible, thereby having fewer ships sight it and subsequently accept the invitation for drinks. The Gin Pennant is still in regular use by Commonwealth Navies, such as the Royal Australian Navy (RAN). Within the RAN it is common practice, whilst in port, for junior officers of one ship to attempt to raise the Gin Pennant on the halyard of another ship, thereby forcing that ship to put on free drinks for the officers of the ship that managed to raise the pennant. If, however the junior officers are caught raising the pennant, then it is their ship that must put on free drinks within their Wardroom. Usually this practice is restricted to Commonwealth Navies, however in the past, prior to increased force protection, RAN officers have successfully raised the Gin Pennant on a number of units in the USN."

I love the Aussies.

There are also some mentions of the tradition at this site. This is the picture of a supposed circa 1940 USN gin flag referenced in that text.

That appears to be a straight up Starbord pennant, if we can assume the dark color is green. *shrug*

I'd like to have some more burgees and pennants myself, for festive occasions, but a full set of code flags to dress ship in the traditional style is darned pricey. I'm interested in what other folks fly from the shrouds or bow for fun and pageantry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2010
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
US flag from a pole on the stern, and from a spreader halyard, one for my marina/yacht club, and one for another sailing website where I'm a member (they don't have ads or a store like SN, so purchase things like the burgee helps to offset the costs of the site).
Old 07-15-2010

Dfok is on a distinguished road
whew.....thanks

I'm liking the history of the "gin pennant", but the thought of gin still riles my stomach years after trying out martinis.
Way back there in one of my early posts I referred to the official Naval ensign, what I meant was the official Yacht ensign, approved by congress in the late 1800's so US Yachts did not have to clear customs every time they came into port. Probably a handy thing to have had during Prohibition too.
That's the one I ordered.
Old 07-15-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
US Flag on a pole on the stern.
Yacht Club Burgee, and/or the regional Catalina Association Burgee from the spreader halyard.
Old 07-15-2010
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm liking the history of the "gin pennant", but the thought of gin still riles my stomach years after trying out martinis.
I've tried martinis, and to me it is like drinking lighter fluid (and it was good gin, not the cheap stuff). On the other hand, a gin and tonic with good gin and a twist of lime is just fine, except that these days I pretty much stick with beer, which is much safer.
Old 07-15-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
in port, the 'Erin Go Bragh' http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...icios_flag.jpg from backstay and when im home in conjunction with the US Boat Ensign flag File:United States yacht flag.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia from stern while i doubt it constitutes actually 'flying' i rigged a homeade sunshade out of four flags sewn together... two sewn on the short end of the rectangle, then the other two sewn perpendicularly with no middle seam to get around the the backstay... kinda like this:

l l
l l====
l l====
l l
i drape the rig over the boom and bungiee the whole deal and it gives great cockpit shade... those flags are:
File:Flag President of Ireland.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and
Flag of Munster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the reason being that my ancestors are from limerick in the prov. of munster.

anyway, im glad this came up.... as the Erin Go Bragh is not (i think) an official flag, anyone know the etiquette regarding 'novelty' flags flying above the flag of our beloved USA? the Ensign flag is rigged to the stern via pole, as probably most are... is it ok to fly anything above our flag, regardless of wheather it is 'offical' or not?

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 07-15-2010
San Juan 21 MKII

Quote:
Way back there in one of my early posts I referred to the official Naval ensign, what I meant was the official Yacht ensign, approved by congress in the late 1800's so US Yachts did not have to clear customs every time they came into port. Probably a handy thing to have had during Prohibition too.
That's the one I ordered.
Oh, right. Good call. Classic.

I'm flying a 24" x 36" flag from a 4' staff on the starboard stern. That's a good two sizes over what you'd commonly find on a small 21' boat like mine, but I really enjoy the way it looks. (I wound up this way originally because I wanted something in a hurry for Independence Day and they were sold out of the smaller sizes. ;-) )

It might be time to look into a small rail mount pole for the bow pulpit.
Old 07-15-2010
San Juan 21 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post
anyway, im glad this came up.... as the Erin Go Bragh is not (i think) an official flag, anyone know the etiquette regarding 'novelty' flags flying above the flag of our beloved USA? the Ensign flag is rigged to the stern via pole, as probably most are... is it ok to fly anything above our flag, regardless of wheather it is 'offical' or not?
Yup, quite OK. The stern staff (or the peak of the mizzen gaff if you are so rigged) is the position of greatest honor on a ship or boat, no matter if the masthead, spreaders or bow are higher in elevation.

Last edited by lydanynom; 07-15-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-15-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydanynom View Post
That appears to be a straight up Starbord pennant, if we can assume the dark color is green. *shrug*
Usually, B&W emulsions are more sensitive to red than green, and very dark colors are usually indicative of warm colors than cool colors, in my photo experience. But it could vary a lot depending upon film emulsion and filters used so that unfortunately doesn't prove a lot.
To really interepret that banner, you'd probably need to research the Oz Navy's flags/banners.
Old 07-15-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
48in 50 star from the stern. Have full dress signal flags that came with her, but have never flown them. Didn't think my purchase was technically her maiden voyage and nothing all that cool has happened since I've owned her. Well, nothing that technically qualifies for dressing ship.

I'm considering something to fly from the starboard spreader to make a significant statement that will change the world. Once I settle on the statement, I'll have to figure out the flag.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.