Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2010

mattu is on a distinguished road
Gin-Pole Mast raising system

I need to fit my Mac26 with a mast raising system. I know it just a pole and some blocks. I called bwyachts and they tell me I have to buy the new kit (crank wench) for $250.00!

Anybody know a place where I can get my hands on a gin-pole?!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Most gin-poles I've seen are dock-mounted, manual (hand winch) cranes used for stepping and unstepping masts from boats that pull up alongside.

Are you asking about a system to raise and lower your deck-stepped mast, by pivoting at the tabernacle? If so, most folks just use a spinnaker or whisker pole, or the boom, as the offset.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 07-15-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Here, take a look at this article from Good Old Boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 07-15-2010
San Juan 21 MKII

lydanynom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattu View Post
I need to fit my Mac26 with a mast raising system. I know it just a pole and some blocks. I called bwyachts and they tell me I have to buy the new kit (crank wench) for $250.00!

Anybody know a place where I can get my hands on a gin-pole?!
Are you positive that you need one?

For my SJ21, I shackle my jib halyard (extra long for the purpose, I used to use a bit of stout line with a bowline in each end as an extension) to the bow eye, then just walk the mast forward and haul in the slack on the halyard as I go. Once I get the mast upright I haul the jib halyard good and tight into the cam cleat and then I can leisurely walk forward and secure the stays. If I get a snag on the way up I just cleat off and deal with it.

I know that I have seen posts on other forums by mac 25/26 owners talking about performing a similar procedure.
Old 07-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You can also use a simple A-frame to do this. The advantage of an A-frame is that it can help keep the mast aligned fore-and-aft properly while raising or lowering it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-15-2010

thanks for the clarification John

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Most gin-poles I've seen are dock-mounted, manual (hand winch) cranes used for stepping and unstepping masts from boats that pull up alongside.

Are you asking about a system to raise and lower your deck-stepped mast, by pivoting at the tabernacle? If so, most folks just use a spinnaker or whisker pole, or the boom, as the offset.
I was guessing that it was called a gin-pole. Maybe I can just get a spinnaker pole. I would be hesitant to use me boom because I keep my sail folded up in it.

I was hoping that someone might know of a good outlet website that may have a lot of spare parts.
Old 07-15-2010

rbrown77138 is on a distinguished road
Mast stepping A frame.

I just finished a mast raising system on my Helsen 22'. It is 12v operated and is glass laid over my deck. When it is down, you can barely see it. This might be a little over the top, but take a look. You can see it on Youtube, just type in "mast stepping A frame" and you should reach it, also on my channel is a 12v operated keel, Bob.
Old 07-15-2010

lydanynom,
I'm not really positive about anything on this boat yet. I new to cruisers. It seem that if I just use the bow plate, there would be too much tension on the 88 plate and cleats. without a pole the angle seem to acute and I thing getting the mast up would require too much muscle.
Old 07-15-2010
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
The trailerable Hunters use a gin pole system for mast raising (I beleive Hunter has a video, or link to it, on using the system). Basically, the mast has a hole in the front section into which the pole is inserted. The pole has two opposing eyes on the other end. The jib halyard is hooked to the top one, and the mainsheet (4 to 1) is hooked to the other, as well as to the anchor padeye in the anchor locker. You then use the mainsheet to raise the mast (with the side shrouds in place). I could raise my 28 foot mast on my H26 by myself.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 11-23-2010

helsen1 is on a distinguished road
Mast Raising

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown77138 View Post
I just finished a mast raising system on my Helsen 22'. It is 12v operated and is glass laid over my deck. When it is down, you can barely see it. This might be a little over the top, but take a look. You can see it on Youtube, just type in "mast stepping A frame" and you should reach it, also on my channel is a 12v operated keel, Bob.
I have a Helsen 20 and am interested in seeing what you built as I am starting to devise something for my boat. Any photos available?