Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Saw it. My review: Meh.

How about "Deep Water". That'll bum you right out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator2001 View Post
Anybody see “Morning Light”? (asking to see if I would want to see it)

From a movie review:

When you can’t go sailing, the next best thing is reading or watching a sailing subject. With all the amateur sailing videos available on YouTube, it’s refreshing to see a professional full-length sailing movie.

So a lot of sailors were excited to hear Disney was making a documentary about the Transpac sail race from California to Hawaii. At bare minimum you could be feel assured the film would actually feature sailing and would likely incorporate stunning cinematography. And yes, it’s a film most sailors will enjoy seeing, though you might still feel a bit disappointed after it’s over.

The Story
The premise of Morning Light, interestingly, involves Roy Disney, nephew to Walt and a consultant to the Disney Company—and an avid sailor and racer. Roy’s idea was to finance a team of 15 sailors from 18 to 23 years old and train them to sail the Morning Light, a TP 52 racing sailboat, in the Transpac race. This race covers 2250 miles and can make for grueling sailing. Their 6-month training would start the movie, which would of course include

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Message in a Bottle. After editing out all the sappy drama to leave just the schooner scenes. Or all of White Squall. I'll wait til this flick comes to cable.
Old 07-16-2010

Kiltmadoc is on a distinguished road
FWIW: I would give "Morning light" 1.5 thumbs up. It was good, and it was a documentary, but they could have done better in terms of fleshing out the participants as well as better filming of the race.

Deep Water was a compelling/sad movie; but a little choppy in terms of editing etc.

BTW: both movies are available as "instant view" for those of us with netflix and a tivo.

As for Charlie St. Cloud: how, with all the movie tax credits, did Marblehead, MA miss out on being the location for the shoot? AND: by reading the plotline, I am not sure it's really "about" sailing.

Last edited by Kiltmadoc; 07-16-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-19-2010

cwyckham is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator2001 View Post
Anybody see “Morning Light”? (asking to see if I would want to see it)
Loved it. I'd agree with 1.5 thumbs up. Could certainly have been better, but they did a great job of telling a great story. Why the heck wouldn't you see it?

Why the heck are there so few sailing movies, anyway?