Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010

Dfok is on a distinguished road
Time to lighten up and sail

I freely confess to being a crank and a curmudgeon at times, but I got a boat to combat that.
After following this board for a year or so I've witnessed anger, intolerance and incivility steadily rise to a point where folks are attacked for their views on air conditioning, flags, or being a new member with a question.
Checking in for information, an idea, interesting or informative stories and experiences ought to be at the very least better than unpleasant. Counting the number of knives planted in someones back should not be part of a sailing forum, it can be done on any number of cable tv shows or other boards.
I wrote a long reply to a post the other night, then put it aside but can't get the idea out of my head. The flags fiasco thread degenerated into what could accurately be called sedition - an appeal for revolution against an established order. This extremist view is increasingly being trundled out in public, (OPINION HERE>perhaps with the intention of desensitizing us), but unless we are going to arm our sailboats, divide into opposing navies and fight it out on the bay it doesn't belong here.
As the Beetles sang "when you talk about destruction, don't you know that you can count me out".
On the other hand walking away from a hothead, bully or terrorist usually just gets you shot in the back.
Mom, Dad and the kindergarten teacher always said "slow down kids, someone is going to get hurt", advice that might well be used here.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2010
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
I could not have worded it any better. Thanks, been feeling the same way.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-16-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I have to say - I just read through that flag thread and it was pretty mellow for politically charged discussions. If you bring any kind of politics into the fray - prepare for some hooks and jabs. Same as anywhere.

I think you said it best here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfok View Post
Intentional offense is okay though, in moderation.
Things can get WAY rougher than that, dude. Trust me. I'm the Melee King. But, of course, that's why we have Fight Club.

Hang in there D. In the end you're absolutely right - sailing cures all.

(PS - I would like SN to duly note that I was nowhere near that one. So it can't possibly be my fault.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-16-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-16-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfok View Post
After following this board for a year or so I've witnessed anger, intolerance and incivility steadily rise to a point where folks are attacked for their views on air conditioning, flags, or being a new member with a question.
Unfortunately, internet forums tend to breed that kind of behavior. Is it because of the medium or is it simply that folks that behave that way have long since alienated everyone from the more personal forms of communication and the only way they have left to communicate with others is via the Internet? Don't know.

I'm new here but have been disappointed (but not surprised) at the amount of uncivil discourse present. OTOH, I have been an auto enthusiast for a while and the forums dealing with cars that are owned predominantly by young males, are the worst forums I've run across. They make Sailnet look like a church choir social event.

I've been active with online communities since the mid 80's. The best two "rules" that I've seen are those from the old Fidonet BBS network. "Don't be excessively annoying and don't be easily annoyed."

Dave
Old 07-16-2010

bluwateronly is on a distinguished road
I have clashed with a few here along the way. However, I have gotten the best information here also. Just ingore those that tik you off, seems to work for me. After all we are sailors with pretty thick skins and most of the real ones carry a big stick but, will sit down with ya have a beer with ya any day. Hang in there and learn as much as you can most are here to help and are the ones that would save you.