Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
For working on my own boat I would use a stiff back knife. When working on commercial vessels I carry a folding knife that I can open with one hand.
Have not found a need for a switch blade (spring assisted knife).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
The problem with spring-assisted blades is that, no matter how good the blade steel is, the spring itself has to be made of mild steel and will corrode away quickly. Use a quality folder - Benchmade, Spyderco, CRKT (Columbia River Knife & Tool) to mention just a few. All make excellent models which cana be opened ambidextrously single-handed. I like the bare-bones models with aluminum housing and would always recommend a semi-serrated edge for shipboard use. This CRKT knife has served me well - I've used it a lot both in and under the water and find it easy to strip if I forget to WD-40 it after use and I keep the edge sharp with a Lansky sharpening kit I have aboard.

p.s. I used to deal in these and I've met a number of the knife designers and they are, without exception, rather strange people - 25% engineer, 25% metallurgist and 50% artist.

Old 07-19-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
CKRT - that's the knife I was thinking of. Thanks Zan.

Jerry had the M16 Zytel I think. Impressive knife that one.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-19-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I carry a spare 3"(?) kitchen paring knife in a belt sheath. No springs, no hinges, no nothing and it is relatively cheap, although it is a good brand with a good stainless blade. It stays razor sharp. Doesn't get in the way. And no, it doesn't get used in the galley.

I like to know that if I really need it fast, all I have to do is pull it out, no flicks, no opening, nothing that could possibly get messed up.

I also have a backup knife inside my PFD, that's a simple "hinged" one like Zanshin mentions, with a nub on the blade so that it can be swung open with one thumb. That one's much shorter, I couldn't keep anything more than two or three inches long in the PFD without a problem about 'folding' it.
Old 07-19-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
KAI USA : Kershaw Search Results

made in the USA. i always keep it handy and only use in 'must work' situations. for the day to day i have an assortment of swiss army knives and a smith and wesson tactical.
Smith & Wesson SWAT Assisted Opening Folder 3.7" Black Plain Edge - Knifecenter.com

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 07-19-2010

Paul2000 is on a distinguished road
Not a fan of auto knives

I don't think auto knives are as good as a one hand operation non spring activated knife. I have better grip and control over the knife when I don't have to loosen my grip to push a button. I prefer a good quality knife that I can open with one hand but has a solid lock that moves in front of the blade, not a little notch on the back of it. I really don't want the lock to fail if I need it. My favorite is a Benchmade stryker with a half serrated blade. It opens with very little effort once you get use to swinging it correctly and I don't have to worry about a spring failing, or a legal problem. If auto knives were perfectly legal everywhere, I would still opt for a manual opening knife. There are many high quality knives made similar to the one I posted here, but the design is solid.
Old 07-19-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
diver's knife

I carry a diver's knife on my belt. It has a 3 inch serrated blade and it clips into it's plastic sheath. It's a one hand operation to press the release with one finger while the rest of the hand has hold of the handle. It's very sharp and stays that way.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 07-19-2010

I don't know what type steel is used

Some probably hold up better around salt water. I would think anything used by navy seals would have to be salt water approved.
Old 07-19-2010

http://www.mikov.biz/knives/BMstryker700.jpg

This is the benchmade Stryker in stainless.

Sorry about doing it in 3 posts, it would not let me post a link until I had a few under my belt. I think a picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 07-19-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
I've carred a CRKT M16 for years. It's not spring loaded, but opens with one hand. It has a belt clip. I sharpen it with the Lansky/Gatgo type sharpening system.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.