Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Lots of good quality folders have been mentioned here and I own one or two of several of the brands mentioned like a Benchmade AFCK, several Spyderco's and a CRKT. Before I started working in a place were I have to go through security every day, I had one of them in my pocket every day. Still feel naked without, but on the boat I have a cheap West Marine sheepfoot type blade for a folder. Its nowhere near as durable a knife as a Spyderco or Benchmade but it gets the job done and is no big deal if it goes overboard. Good quality locking folders with one hand opening are not cheap and an equivalent automatic would be a good deal more expensive than the thumb opener.

That said it would probably be a better idea to have a couple of decent fixed blade dive knives stowed at the cockpit and mast rather than a folder in your pocket though.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2010

nemier is on a distinguished road
I carry a Spyderco Harpy in my pocket (when I remember) and have a leatherman on my pfd. I also have a few fixed blades strategically placed around the vessel. No crab is safe within 400'
Attached Thumbnails
Spring-Assisted Knife - what is your experience ?-spyderco-harpy.jpg  
Old 07-19-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Onboard, i've got rigging knives, swiss army knives, dive knifes, scaling knives, leatherman tools... but the knife that always seems to be at hand is this cheapo:

I got it as a Christmas gift, just a stocking stuffer, but it is a better knife than it has any right to be.

Lockback knife blade on one end, retractable utility blade on the other, opens easily with one hand. The only drawback, which wasn't that hard to rectify, is there was no lanyard ring. two minutes on the drill press and a flag clip solved that problem.
I'm not a big fan of spring knives, simply because i have lost two overboard, both times when I tried to open them with greasy hands. Sprung right out of my hand and gone.
Old 07-20-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I'm not a big fan of spring knives, simply because i have lost two overboard, both times when I tried to open them with greasy hands. Sprung right out of my hand and gone.
You're not supposed to get the "flying" models for that very reason.

In my earlier post I was reluctant to relate one of my experiences with a spring-loaded knife... a friend of mine (security police) had one on his belt, and I asked to see it. So he hands it to me, and I'm looking it over, pawing around on it and he gets really nervous, and finally asked to have it back in a funny voice - I had been holding it with my finger on the "trigger" where the blade would have opened me up had I pressed it. He didn't tell me it did that, and I didn't suspect.

His was a police model, and if accidently triggered, would have made quite a mess.
I can one hand a Spyderco just fine, thank you.
Old 07-20-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Stone River Gear - Ceramic Folding Knives - SRG4RCW/B

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 07-20-2010

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
For cruisers, you also have to remember that even any knife that can be opened with one hand may be illegal in other countries.

I worked on a project and we had a Danish film company following us around and sending video and newspaper stories off about us daily. They all carried knives you could open one-handed. It was really funny because if you asked for a knife, all of them would whip out a knife and open it. I finally asked about it and they said that these knives are illegal in Denmark so they ALWAYS carried them out of the country and hid them at home. They went on to explain that they bought them in the US at a gun show when they were doing a series of articles on guns in the US. Those guys were a hoot to work with.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 07-20-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanbc View Post
I worked on a project and we had a Danish film company following us around and sending video and newspaper stories off about us daily. They all carried knives you could open one-handed. It was really funny because if you asked for a knife, all of them would whip out a knife and open it...
I worked for more than a decade on a military installation, and what you describe is normal behavior for military guys...
ask if anyone has a knife, and all you can hear all around you is "snick, snick, snick" as blades are being popped open.

Then you have the difficulty of trying to choose which knife to use, while everyone else passes their knives around and admires/discusses. Lots of entertainment value.
Old 07-20-2010

nemier is on a distinguished road
"Then you have the difficulty of trying to choose which knife to use, while everyone else passes their knives around and admires/discusses. Lots of entertainment value."

I hear you..
Old 07-20-2010

johnnyandjebus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
I carry a Spyderco Harpy in my pocket (when I remember) and have a leatherman on my pfd. I also have a few fixed blades strategically placed around the vessel. No crab is safe within 400'

nemier that is beauty, given the curve of the blade do you find it limiting in it's use?

John

Last edited by johnnyandjebus; 07-20-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-21-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Thank you Captains for your input.

After reading the entire thread, I think a dive knife with 3" to 4" blade is the best for my intended use. I may pick up an assisted knife as a toy to play with.

Just for your information, I also want to let you know that I drive above the speed limit every single day. I call myself a law bidding citizen

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.