SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Spring-Assisted Knife - what is your experience ? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/66547-spring-assisted-knife-what-your-experience.html)

rockDAWG 07-17-2010 06:26 PM

Spring-Assisted Knife - what is your experience ?

Thinking to get a good quality knife with one hand operation, it should be light enough that it can be clipped on my belt, and I don't even notice it is there.

I sail solo a lot and will be doing more and more . I have two letterman, they are both a bit heavy and can't open with one hand. What is your experience and what you don't like about it.

TIA.

sawingknots 07-17-2010 06:40 PM

never take a knife to a gun fight,for defense i'd about as soon have a club

tomwatt 07-17-2010 07:10 PM

I have not had good experiences with any spring-loaded or switchblade knives. In most instances, the steel was not the high-Rockwell type for a real utility knife. A friend of mine owned a German paratrooper switchblade, that made a decent screwdriver, and that's about all. Police models may be better, but may not be legal to carry.
Currently I use a Spyderco sheepsfoot knife, one-hands great (as long as you've practiced with it a time or two before trying to pull it out to cut a line when you are in a pinch), and comes in all stainless.
I'm presuming you're thinking of line-cutting duties and not knife-fighting. If you're thinking of the later, ponder for a moment why good combat steel costs so much, and debate whether or not you want to stake your life on a knife that isn't quality.

75R20 07-17-2010 07:42 PM

Spring assist "may" not be legal in your state so check. Do they work...you bet, some have so much assist they almost fly out of your hand. Look for good steel like AUS 6 or AUS 8, or better, Solingen stainless steel (german made Boker brand) and with the Boker get the X-15 treatment (salt spray treatment). Ceramic Teflon blades are cool and very spendy, but fragile and have no place for general cutting IMO.
I keep Kershaw spring assist rescue knives (no points) on my PFD's with the glass breaker removed.
I'm sure others will have a different opinions, but that is mine. I'm never without a knife....period.
Best of luck
Kary
S/V Mariah

FarCry 07-17-2010 07:52 PM

I used to carry Spyderco knives all the time and still do on occaision. A few years ago I picked up a Kershaw with a Ken Onion designed spring assist, the onion. The knife was small, light, sharp and incredibly fast to deploy. The past year or so I came accross a much larger Kershaw RAM, that acts like it has a spring assist and love it. It gets used frequently and holds an edge well. Considering the amount of sweat and salt water this has been exposed to it has been incredibly tolerant. If this one ever gets lost I'll buy another. Although I carry the plain blade, the serrated version can be seen here Kershaw RAM Flipper Hawk-LockŪ 3-1/8" Satin Combo Edge Blade - Knifecenter.com

I've had good luck with a variety of items that have been purchased thru the Knifecenter as far as quick, reasonably priced shipping.

seabreeze_97 07-17-2010 07:55 PM

Just don't put it IN your pocket. Accidental activation can be a real day-breaker.

scottyt 07-17-2010 10:26 PM

as said spring opened knives are not the best quality until you spend lots of money ( think 200 and much higher ). now there are lots of spring assisting knives that are good, walmart carries kershaws for good prices. there are also some gerbers that are not spring assisted but can be opened just as fast.

i hate to say it go look at walmart or a gun show to see what is available

smackdaddy 07-17-2010 10:31 PM

jerryrl sailed with me a few weeks ago and he had this seriously cool knife that you could actually take to a gun fight and feel pretty ballsy.

I forget the make, Canadian something? Jerry...what was that thing?

ottos 07-19-2010 09:27 AM

I currently have the Spyderco Atlantic Salt serrated It's a great NON-RUSTING, thumb activated (no spring) knife. Easy one hand opening, and one hand closing with just a little practice. It's flaw is that it has no spike, nor shackle key.

My future knife is this Boye knife.

jjablonowski 07-19-2010 10:07 AM

Military issue

1 Attachment(s)
For years I used a USAF-issued parachute survival knife with good results.