Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2010

superweeds is on a distinguished road
Question

I intend to buy a sailboat in Newport area, can i navigate this boat up to Lake Champlain? If yes, how much time does this take? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2010

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
superweeds;623533]I intend to buy a sailboat in Newport area, can i navigate this boat up to Lake Champlain?(Can it be done yes,can you do it, I don't know If yes, how much time does this take? That depends on the boat and weather and do you want to sail 24/7 or stop every night) thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2010

its going to be 3 benetau sailboat 33 feet, and yes i d like to stop everynight.
Old 07-18-2010

paulk is on a distinguished road
NY State Barge Canal

Stopping each night will add some time to the trip, but I'm not sure the canal is open at night anyway. If you were to sail the open portions (i.e.: Long Island Sound) at night, it might shave a day or two from the trip. You probably don't want to go through Hell Gate at night on your first trip in your new (to you) boat. You will need to have the mast taken out (in Saugerties?) to fit under the bridges en route, and you'll need crew to help manage lines in the locks. Look up the NYS Barge Canal website for additional details and other posts/articles/books from people who've made the trip.
Old 07-20-2010

mooregm5 is on a distinguished road
Champlain Canal Route

Hello,

Hundred of boats make a similar trip to Lake Champlain each year. I'm more familiar with the Hudson River up to Lake Champlain so I'll keep my comments there.

Assuming you will be holding a normal recreation schedule. Its about 3 days to the Champlain Canal from NYC. You need to go with the tides, or else you make very little headway in certain areas. The Hudson River is tidal from NYC all the way up to Troy (Albany area).

You need to take the mast down before passing Albany. The most-used location are:
* Castleton Boat Club, Castleton on the Hudson, NY; 518-732-7077 --- Note: Do it yourself gin pole.
* Hop-O-Nose Marine, Catskill, NY; 518-943-4640
* Riverview Marine Service Inc., Catskill, NY; 518-943-5311

You can try and sail parts of the Hudson, but you'll be motoring or motor-sailing most of the way. Once in Troy you have 12 locks and 63 miles of canals to reach Lake Champlain. If you have not done them before, it's not too hard. You'll be a pro by the end of the trip.

You'll want at least two people on board, three is better but not required on a 33' boat. Be mindful of your mast on deck, it is very easy to hit your mast against the walls as it sticks off front and back of the boat many feet. Keep the boat parallel to the walls.

The Federal Lock (US Corps of Eng.) in Troy is free. The others are operated by the NYS Canal Corp. and you can buy a 2-day pass (or two 2-day passes if your going slower) at Lock 1 of the Champlain Canal.

On the Hudson stop for the night were you will have your mast lowered (so you can prep the night before and early morning), Kingston, and Croton-on-Hudson.

On the canal there is Waterford, Mechanicville, Fort Edward, and Whitehall. The Canal portion can be done in one very long day (after dark), or better as two reasonable days.

Then put your mast back up in Whitehall at Lock 12 marina, or if you prefer your marina if your located on the southern part of the lake. The southern end of the lake is "river-like" and you'll be motoring until at least the Fort Ticonderoga area.

Good luck and have fun. If your soloing and need help in the locks...PM me, I may be able to help you out for a day or two.

Old 07-20-2010

thank you verry much, you are verry kindfull
Old 07-20-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by superweeds View Post
I intend to buy a sailboat in Newport area, can i navigate this boat up to Lake Champlain? If yes, how much time does this take? thanks
I'd say if you need to ask then the answer in a definate NO!

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.