Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2010

huckleberry is on a distinguished road
Noteworthy 32'-36' Cruisers?

Among the more COMMON (emphasis intended) manufacturers of 32’-36’ cruisers, is there a particular model(s) that has been produced for many years- relatively unchanged- and thus has earned the reputation throughout the sailing industry as being a specifically reliable/timeless/proven model?

To help clarify my question, if the same question had been posed about single-engine aircraft, no doubt a Cessna 182 Skylane or a Piper Archer would be mentioned because both have been produced- relatively unchanged- (other than nav/com equipment of course) for many years and thus have earned the reputation in the aviation industry as being a couple of the most proven single engine planes ever made. In other words, out of a dozen or more common single-engine aircraft manufacturers, and the hundreds of models that have been produced by these manufacturers, a Cessna Skylane or Piper Archer would be at the top of any objective list of proven planes, personal preferences aside.

As someone who is very new to sailing, it would be interesting to hear from experienced sailors whether or not such models exist in the 32’-36’ cruiser class. What say you?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Catalina 34
Old 07-18-2010

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
Are you looking for new or used? If used, I would agree with JimsCal. Both the Catalina 34 and 36 have a long history and following.They are extremely similar boats with all of the difference in the salon. They measure LOA within about 9". The differences from the original models and the 90's changes is the sugar scoop transom and upgrades to some systems. Both sail well and are very capable coastal cruisers.
Old 07-18-2010

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
If looking for used,although out of business,the allied boats have a proven record.marc
Old 07-18-2010
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
The Westsail 32 set the standard for fiberglass cruising boats.
Old 07-18-2010

huckleberry is on a distinguished road
Regarding the "new or used" question; at this point I am open to either. If new, however, I would like to narrow my search down to a 32'-36' cruiser whose design has remained relatively unchanged over a decade or two, and as such has EARNED the reputation of being a proven/reliable/functional design. By way of analogy- the Cessna 182 Skylane has been produced to virtually the same specifications for nearly four decades and has thus proven itself to be a solid choice in the single engine aircraft class.
Old 07-18-2010
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
Ref the C182 the prices have skyrocketed too.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.

Bruce Lee

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT ENFORCING OUR PRESENT LAWS NOW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-18-2010

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry View Post
By way of analogy- the Cessna 182 Skylane has been produced to virtually the same specifications for nearly four decades and has thus proven itself to be a solid choice in the single engine aircraft class.
Contessa 32
Contessa 32 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-18-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Personally speaking, I do not know of ANY boats produced for over 4 decades! The closest would be Catalina's boats. BUT, I would not call them anything special from my standpoint. But they do go and go and go like an energizer bunny. Boats are more a decade item at best generally speaking, as most manufactures will change the design some to keep up with new rules in race changes, along with designs protocal that will allow faster, more forgiving yachts. The few that do try to keep building the same boat yr after yr, eventually have gone bust! The bigger names, suc as Jeanneau/Beneteau/Hunter, change out the specs and designs of a given size every 5-10 yrs. Beneteau is in the process, Jeanneau announced a new 40' boat to the owners assoc last week. The same design specs and changes will go thru the line over the next 2-4 yrs, last about 4-6, start all over.

There are some manufactures that have been around for 30-40 yrs, Jeanneau, Beneteau, Hunter and Catalina to name 4. Otherwise, most are 20-30 yrs old generally speaking for a max.

There are some J-boats that have been built awhile too, the 24 and 105. Not that either of these are probably what you want. The 105 is 10.5 Meters or about 35', but head room is 5'6", enough for the ave female, bare bones min interior, but fast, easy to sail with 2-3 people doing double digit speeds down wind. The 24, too small.

marty
Old 07-18-2010
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
This is limited to American boats, but still a good list

The American Sailboat Hall of Fame: Inductees
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.