Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Other than CLucas' comments, not much to say. He pretty much covered it all.

The P30 is a "performance cruiser." Set up and sailed right, they can be very fast for their class.

Enjoy your P30. They're terrific boats

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2010

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiance91 View Post
I completely agree with Grey Goose. I hated the color of the deck, it was green so I painted it. I have owned my P30 since 1996 at 1977 hull number 942,
This photo was taken yesterday while sailing in the ocean off of Long Island, NY..isn't she pretty!
Great photo -- where do you sail out of? I'm out of Hempstead Harbour Club on the north shore of LI.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 07-20-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I have always liked these boats. They sail well and are generally well mannered. A couple issues that I have heard of over the years on some of these are problems with the 'scimitar' type rudder. This places a lot of strain on the rudder post to rudder connection and water can get in and cause problems over time with the stainless steel frame of the rudder. There were apparently two different types of internal frames on the P-30 rudder, the later ones having an aluminum framework instead of stainless steel. These were not as good in terms of durability.

The one that I knew best had gate valves that ultimately had to be changed out to marine grade seacocks.

The Pearson 30's had an outward facing flange type hull to deck joint. I have never been a big fan of this type of joint being inherently the weakest and most vulnerable of the choices. From what I gather, the P-30's have not had the kinds of problems of boats like the Catalina 27 but the one that I raced on did leak back by the quarter berth when heeled hard.

I can't recall whether the P-30 has a bolt on keel like its smaller sister of that era, the P-26, but at least in the case of the P-26 the keel bolts and and internal structure has not stood up all that well over time and has typically needed remedial repairs. I would carefully check the keel to hull hull joint if it is a bolt on, or the encapsulation if its not.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 07-20-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
The P30 has an encapsulated keel.

Jim
Old 07-20-2010

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I have always liked these boats. They sail well and are generally well mannered. A couple issues that I have heard of over the years on some of these are problems with the 'scimitar' type rudder. This places a lot of strain on the rudder post to rudder connection and water can get in and cause problems over time with the stainless steel frame of the rudder. There were apparently two different types of internal frames on the P-30 rudder, the later ones having an aluminum framework instead of stainless steel. These were not as good in terms of durability.

The one that I knew best had gate valves that ultimately had to be changed out to marine grade seacocks.

The Pearson 30's had an outward facing flange type hull to deck joint. I have never been a big fan of this type of joint being inherently the weakest and most vulnerable of the choices. From what I gather, the P-30's have not had the kinds of problems of boats like the Catalina 27 but the one that I raced on did leak back by the quarter berth when heeled hard.

I can't recall whether the P-30 has a bolt on keel like its smaller sister of that era, the P-26, but at least in the case of the P-26 the keel bolts and and internal structure has not stood up all that well over time and has typically needed remedial repairs. I would carefully check the keel to hull hull joint if it is a bolt on, or the encapsulation if its not.

Jeff
Good catch on the gate valves -- forgot about that... Gate valves are a big no-no for thru hulls on any boat and they should be switched to either a traditional tapered plug seacock or a ball valve. Grey Goose still had a gate valve at the raw water intake and I had it changed right away. Also, I *believe* the original scuppers had tubes glassed directly to the thru hulls. While above the water line, they were vulnerable to cracking from the hull flexing and causing a umm... major problem. Mine were switched out for traditional tapered-plug seacocks and reinforced rubber hose prior to my taking ownership.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 06-11-2012

FrankPK is on a distinguished road
re: 1974 pearson 30

Greetings! YOUR Hildy is up for sale in Lake Lanier and I am considering purchasing her. I see where you installed a two cylinder Universal diesel (year?). Do you know if the gate valves were replaced with marine grade seacocks? Any issues with the keel (grounding) or bottom (blisters, etc.)? Any problem with leaks around/under the attached fittings topside? When was the last time she was out of the water and the bottom cleaned/painted? Sorry for all of the questions. As you can probably tell I am a sailing novice. I haven't sailed in 20 years but want to spend weekends cruisng and sleeping aboard now that I am reaching retirement.

You were very fortunate to spend 35 years with Hildy. It must have been difficult to let her go.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Frank
Old 06-12-2012

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
re: 1974 pearson 30

Ditto on all things metioned about the P30. I love mine. I really enjoy being faster than the other mass produces 30's of that era.