SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   1974 pearson 30 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/66564-1974-pearson-30-a.html)

hobbits 07-18-2010 12:24 PM

1974 pearson 30

hi friends,im getting a survey done on a 1974 pearson 30 this week for purchase.can anybody give me advise on this boat and what i should be looking out for?it also has a ferryman 10 diesel inboard and im coming up empty on searches for info on this engine?any advise would be well taken.if someone has a pearson,how do they like it?whats the pros and cons of this type boat?thnx.:cool:

SlowButSteady 07-18-2010 01:16 PM

A 1074 model boat? A knew Pearson had been in business for a long time, but not THAT long. :)

tomwatt 07-18-2010 01:29 PM

spelled "farymann" I believe.
Farymann Diesel :: North America

blt2ski 07-18-2010 01:44 PM

A boat built in 1074 is known as an Old Shoe. Very slow, does not point well. Usually made of wood to, altho a few of the new fangled plastica boats are being made, but usually to old shoe specs.

hobbits 07-18-2010 02:32 PM

thnx for the spelling on farymann,i was spelling it wrong but thats the way the broker spelled it.thnx for the comments about being an old shoe,very funny.i corrected the year and if you,d read the post it said 1974.my mistake,so very sorry.now that we have the correct year posted has anybody got some constructive critics on this boat and model?

LouAnn34 07-18-2010 02:43 PM

Greetings,

My parents bought NEW a 1971 Pearson 30, Hull # 7. It has been in our family up until three years ago when we sold it. It has been a wonderful boat --- over the years we made a few changes ... installed a two cylinder universal diesel, depth sounder, replaced the wire to rope halyards for all line and led them to the cockpit, roller furling, bimini and dodger and VHF.

I have wonderful memories of sailing that boat on Long Island, the Hudson River, Savannah Georgia and finally at Lake Lanier Georgia where she currently is docked.

CLucas 07-18-2010 02:45 PM

I sail a 1977 P30 and looked at several others prior to purchasing Grey Goose. Common issues that I saw with other P30s included wet decks (esp. around lifeline stanchions and the bow rail), leaks near the chainplates and other common issues that you're likely to see looking at any boats of this vintage. One issue I did see a few times that bugged me... the deck-stepped mast is supported below by an oak compression post that goes into the bilge (such that it is). On several boats, there was some 'dishing' on the deck around the mast step. Going below, the base of the compression post had evidence of some rot at the base and was definitely wet. Grey Goose has no such dishing and the post was dry -- as a preventative measure, I glassed in the base to keep it that way. Some also exhibit some swirl patterns in the non-skid, but that's purely cosmetic and easy to take care of yourself. I only looked at one with a Faryman diesel and walked away for other reasons -- ours has a more popular Atomic 4, which has proven very reliable.

Sailing qualities... Do your homework and you'll read that P30s are a bit 'tender' (i.e. quick to heel), a characteristic I would agree with though they stiffen up after 25 degrees or so. Overall, we're very happy -- we do some racing and coastal cruising and she feels pretty solid in a blow. Overnights are fine with my wife and two daughters. Ours has wheel steering (Edson had a conversion kit available), which is nice but admittedly crowds the cockpit a bit. I single-hand quite a bit and find it very doable, though no special modifications have been made.

Practical Sailor did a review a year or two ago which you might want to look up.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3132/...018e206dd7.jpg

hobbits 07-18-2010 02:54 PM

thank you lou ann and clucas.very helpfull.

blt2ski 07-18-2010 03:41 PM

For some more adventures of those with P30's, read this "what is a wilson?" about 3 letters to editor down the page!

This boat I found out was on the east cost, owned by a friend of "Mr Wilson" from childhood. They used to sail it with the 3 kids and a nannie, yes that is right, 6 on board! anyway, as they embarked to move back out here to the west coast, they found an endevor 40, an eve BIGGER old shoe, sold the boat to Mr Wilson. Whom by the way is somewhere up in the sanjuan islands right now, storys of this yrs trip to be made at a later date!

radiance91 07-20-2010 07:46 AM

I love my P30

1 Attachment(s)
I completely agree with Grey Goose. I hated the color of the deck, it was green so I painted it. I have owned my P30 since 1996 at 1977 hull number 942,
This photo was taken yesterday while sailing in the ocean off of Long Island, NY..isn't she pretty!