Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2010

Kiltmadoc is on a distinguished road
FWIW: the first photo is credible when you look at the speed of a whale when breaching, as described here:
(Read more: How a 40-ton whale gave tourists a flying lesson | Mail Online)

" When a humpback breaches, it generates more power than any other act performed by a mammal.

Sheila Anderson, of the Natural Environment Research Council, said: "They go down to a low depth and move their tail flukes up and down very quickly to get up the speed to propel themselves out of the water."

The whale then travels close to the surface and parallel to it, before jerking upwards at a speed of 25ft per second.

Around 90 per cent of the body clears the water before the whale turns to land on its back or side. 'Belly flops' also occur but are less common. Scientists do not really know why whales breach....."

Given that the shot was taken from a distance and the whale was moving about 14 knots, STRAIGHT UP, I am not surprised that there is no visible body reaction from the captain of the sailboat in the first photo. One second: "hmmm what a nice day we are having" Next second: "HOLY *****, arghhhhh!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2010
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
I'm thinking the whale might have a bruise or two.
Old 07-21-2010
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Damn.........

Ok standby for the "how to whale proof your rig" Thread...........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-21-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Ok standby for the "how to whale proof your rig" Thread...........
Maybe JeffH will write us a nice tech article.

I am truly impressed at the amount of damage to the boat. Hope these folks aren't self-insured. Or if they are, they have a harpoon-equipped whaleboat handy so they can recoup their expenses. It was, after all, a "right" whale despite appearing to be wrong in the moment.
Old 07-21-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
think about how much messier the boat would have been, had it been a sperm whale.
Old 07-21-2010
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
ewwwwwwww

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 07-21-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-21-2010

beej67 is on a distinguished road
And it gets weirder.

The whale may have been counterattacking the yacht.

News - South Africa: Whale that jumped on boat 'harassed' [PICS]
Old 07-21-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
"They said the yacht kept coming to the whale. Speeding straight at it and annoying it," said Smith.
Some how I don't buy this, under head sail only ?? speeding straight at it ??

Hell, the non pissed crusing speed of a hump is 5kts; I think it's just another wrong time, right place type of deal
Old 07-22-2010

L124C is on a distinguished road
A Whale of a Tale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBrown View Post
More like some photoshop work. Different sky and backgrounds in various pics. The guy at the wheel looks calm just before a monster lands on his deck? Don't think so. His body language doesn't support the scenario. Plus yes the boat is a mess, about what you'd expect from a dismasting, but I'd think a whale of that size would have crushed the cabin top and done even more damage. Just being a bit suspicious thats all.
I concur. In fact, it was my immediate thought when I saw it on the NBC Nightly News NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams: News and videos from the evening broadcast NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams: News and videos from the evening broadcast- msnbc.com
NBC reported that the couple who charterd the boat took the pictures. I thought, "how did they get the shots from behind the boat ?". In addition, after the incident, would I be taking shots of the whale's Fluke disappearing into the water? I mean...even if I had been approaching my boat (which was under sail) in a dingy with a camera in my hand, I think I would probably high tail it to the boat to look for survivors after the incident, not continue shooting photos. I've posed these questions to NBC and will report the reply. Let's see... a 40 ton whale riding on a (let me guess liberally) 8 ton boat. Don't we have a displacement problem here ("steel hull" or not)? Finally... I can't believe the Skipper wouldn't have been looking wide eyed to Port, regardless of how fast the whale was flying! When 40 Tons goes ballistic, I think you hear it! Ironically, the carnage on the boat looks suspiciously similar to that of a boat in my marina which failed to give way to a much larger (Stand On) boat in the Beer Can races the other night! Hmmm.

Last edited by L124C; 07-22-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-22-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
I concur. In fact, it was my immediate thought when I saw it on the NBC Nightly News NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams: News and videos from the evening broadcast NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams: News and videos from the evening broadcast- msnbc.com
NBC reported that the couple who charterd the boat took the pictures. I thought, "how did they get the shots from behind the boat ?". In addition, after the incident, would I be taking shots of the whale's Fluke disappearing into the water? I mean...even if I had been approaching my boat (which was under sail) in a dingy with a camera in my hand, I think I would probably high tail it to the boat to look for survivors after the incident, not continue shooting photos. I've posed these questions to NBC and will report the reply. Let's see... a 40 ton whale riding on a (let me guess liberally) 8 ton boat. Don't we have a displacement problem here ("steel hull" or not)? Finally... I can't believe the Skipper wouldn't have been looking wide eyed to Port, regardless of how fast the whale was flying! When 40 Tons goes ballistic, I think you hear it! Ironically, the carnage on the boat looks suspiciously similar to that of a boat in my marina which failed to give way to a much larger (Stand On) boat in the Beer Can races the other night! Hmmm.
My thoughts exactly.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.