Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2010

glmark is on a distinguished road
Larger cockpit

Greetings,
I have a 25' 1980 Hunter & find that the cockpit is too small. We only rarely use the cabin for sleeping, so I'm already thinking of a different boat. I saw an 8 meter S2 which had a long boom and rear mounted traveler plus a transom mounted rudder, both of which I thought were really good ideas. What are the downsides of these placements.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a more open boat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2010
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Moving the traveller to the transom does open up the cockpit, but at the sacrifice of a bit of sail control. A vang helps, but mid-boom sheeting w/ a traveller is often (usually?) preferred by racers. For cruising and daysailing having the mainsheet at the end of the boom (with or w/o a traveller on the transom) is fine. It also reduces the potential for breaking the boom in an uncontrolled gybe. In fact, I'm seriously considering switching to an end-boom sheeting arrangement on my boat, since having the traveller on the bridge-deck makes for awkward seating when sailing with more than just 2 people.

A transom-hung rudder has the advantage that one can inspect and repair the rudder much more easily (not to mention freeing crap-pot lines, etc.). And it does give the rudder a larger lever-arm with which to operate. But, it leaves the rudder a bit less protected, which can be a concern in both a crowded marina and in a large following sea.
Old 07-21-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
SBS, there are any number of more modern race boats that have end-boom main sheet controls, particularly anything that uses the "German" main sheeting system... Farr's (40, 39M/L, etc..., larger Beneteau firsts ) If the boat has a wider stern and end boom sheeting, you can have a much longer traveller track. In combination with a good vang and other rig controls, you've got a lot of trimming options with much less load than mid-boom.

GLmark, S2 generally makes very nice boats. If it's older, just make sure that the traveller and sheet system operates smoothly under load. At best, by replacing bearings, things will be good as new. At worst, you'll have to upgrade the system. Transom hung rudders on a smaller boat, easy to inspect, service, etc... Again, S2 usually gets these things right.

Last edited by puddinlegs; 07-21-2010 at 02:44 PM.