Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2010

coyemory is on a distinguished road
US Recreational Vessel

I have contacted Tartan and they suggested I look at the hull to deck joint in the lazarette. We have looked in that area and did not see any sign of a number. I also spoke to Tarnan regarding an engine serial number and was toldthat they couldn't reference that number. We have narrowed down the year to around a 74 or 75 fuel tank under the port settee and a boom length around 11 feet.

How obsecure would the hidden HIN number be, maybe we just missed it but 3 people have looked for it. Does anybody have a picture of their hidden HIN?

BTW, thanks for all of the suggestions.

Coy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2010

RichH will become famous soon enough
Try using a mirror and a bright light, most of these 'hidden' HINs are not located for 'easy' viewing .... sometimes you have go 'look up' at the bottoms or behind structures, sometimes such 'clearance' will be an inch or so. Many times these hidden HIN numbers are simply added by using 'permanent markers' etc. To find such hidden HINs, its usually like a 'scavenger hunt' ... usually not easy and usually not in a 'convenient' place.
Old 07-23-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
You might consider looking on the stern for the HIN. It's not always evident but is supposed to be visible. I've heard of HINs being written on the bottom of drawers, on interior framing in the saloon/galley, or other less evident locations. I'd be interested in your results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-23-2010

US Reccreational Vessel Sticker

I was entering this post and all of a sudden it went away. If this a duplicate post I am truly sorry, (damn laptop, and fat fingers). As I was saying, this is the last post for me on this boat. I am going to drive down to South Florida from NC just to verify that there is not a hidden HIN. If anybody out there that owns a 72 to 76 Tartan T34C and you have a picture of your hidden HIN please post it. I am taking a video camera and an very very bright light and will film what ever I find.

Does anyone know what year Tartan started putting a hidden HIN on the boat? By law they had to do it by 84/85. When I talked to Tartan customer service they didn't have anyone that worked there back in the 70s.

Thanks for all of the help and support from the member. According to FL Fish and Wildlife with no HIN this boat is contraban and will go to the landfield. Please help me prevent that!

If you want to talk to me my cell is 704.968.8606

Coy
Old 07-23-2010
San Juan 21 MKII

lydanynom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyemory View Post
According to FL Fish and Wildlife with no HIN this boat is contraban and will go to the landfield.
I am pretty sure that this is not correct, you might want to contact them again for clarification, or review the statutes. After the 90 days of notification you should be able to have an officer from FWC come out to do an inspection, and then you can contact the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles to have a new HIN issued.
Old 07-23-2010

US Recreational Vessel

That may be true but that is not what we were told today by FWC. We will check it out next week.

Coy