Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2010

SVlagniappe is on a distinguished road
I know a few people who've bought brand new boats. Without exception, they had as many things go wrong as I did. Granted, they were fixed free by the manufacturer for a while, but it took a year to get it all sorted out.
Beneteau 423 #310
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well at 54 and having owned 3 NEW boats and a few used the first new 1981 boat required a lot of time and effort and MONEY to keep in good shape over its still ongoing lifetime

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-23-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
We are looking at new bleach bottles with air and heat.

Enough said.
Who cares? It will enable you to do what you want - and keep you and the SO comfy. So it's not a bad trade off at all.

She's a beautiful boat - but you're doing the right thing.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-23-2010

utchuckd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltmadoc View Post
If I may: why is 30 feet too small for you? There are tons of people who live in 24 foot motor homes all year round as they "cruise" the roads of the USA...
But aren't they not as confined to the motor home as someone is to a boat? Whenever they pull in and park the Winnebago they can roll out the awning and sit in the lawn chairs, basically having a 'family/living room' outside. It's not quite that simple on a boat is it?
Old 07-23-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
While at one time we thought a J24 to be a great weekend boat for four thats no longer the case

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 07-23-2010
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Last edited by chrisncate; 05-20-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-23-2010

NaviGsr is on a distinguished road
For what you want to do, I don't think you'll regret it once you're settled in your new boat. I've met a few couples living aboard newer Jeanneaus and Benes and it works for them. Imagine being able to come home, slip the lines, and sail off to wherever you want for as long as you want. Beats coming back to a massive project that keeps you from going anywhere.

Older boats can be great (and Alberg designs certainly are lookers) but they are from an era where cruising was more like camping. Modern designs allow you to have all the creature comforts while aboard and still sail fast, so why not embrace them?
Old 07-23-2010
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Telesail likes this.

Last edited by chrisncate; 05-20-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-23-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
We buy boats because something felt right...if selling is easy the feeling was fake to begin with.

That said ....its just a boat...there are many beautiful boats in the world.

I have never believed there is just one right woman ( or Man..for you ladies ) for you to marry...I believe there are hundreds if not thousands...finding one that is looking for the same things at the same time is the hard part...some call it fate some call it Karma, luck, divine intervention...I call it "seizing the moment"...pass it by like any other good deal and someone else will reap the benefits.

I'm always thanking my wife for sharing her life with me...with her lines and pleasing motion she could have chosen just about anyone...I seized the moment and didn't let go.

Its just a boat...its not even close to being the perfect boat...you will always have sweet memories of it and even at times reminisce and wish you had it back...but the new boat will have say a prettier personality even if her body isn't as sexy...you catch my drift play with the wording all you want...

Some girls just have it all put together but don't play well with others...boats are no different...pretty and a joy to show off but a real pain in the arse to up keep.

A Supper Nice personality but ugly...its all a trade off...Lots of fish in the sea as they say..Unlike marriage ( or at least the way its supposed to be ) your not signing a pact for life with any boat...boats come boats go....Get one that serves your needs at the time...another opportunity to own one that really inspires you will come along someday.

Don't suffer just for a pretty face...life's to short.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 07-23-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-23-2010

Insails is on a distinguished road
The only bad thing about wanting a bigger boat is selling the old one...They seem to earn a place in your heart after hours of work and ton's of cash...

That Alberg is a beauty..
I almost bought a 69 model and wished I had...

I sure hope if you sell her the new owner continues where you left off....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.