Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Having a PC or chartplotter for planning a trip is great...if your intent is to use one as the primary tool to navigate your boat, then my opinion is you are likely to run aground. It is a wonderful benefit to have GPS that can confirm heading and distances, but if you plot your courses on it...well good luck.

That's what paper charts are good for, and necessary for. There are several threads on the board started by former boat-owners who attempted to navigate their boats only by their GPS...maybe the high end chartplotters can substitute for paper...I personally haven't used them.
Old 07-26-2010
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
Sigh--You still get the occasional Neanderthal who thinks that they will never make a mistake plotting on a paper chart in a narrow channel after being up 36 hours straight in heavy weather. They also like to carry around 500 pounds of paper at $100/lb.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2010

dnf777 is on a distinguished road
As I type this, I'm looking in the left margin of this page, and there's a Standard CP1801 5" color screen chartplotter for $394.10.

I've seen the apps for the ipad/iphone, and they're amazing. I don't think I'd rely on one as a primary tool, but as a backup, they would be awesome. The ipad has a gps driven moving map display with composite radar overaly. Not sure how accurate for navigation, but a cool weather tool.
Old 08-12-2010

GBurton is on a distinguished road
I have a Furuno GP37 for a GPS and use the nmea 0183 output to a toughbook pc running seaclear as my primary navigation device. It works great! As someon mentioned above, it is just as easy to make a mistake plotting a course using a paper chart as it is when using a GPS chartplotter.
Does anyone really use only paper charts and sextant anymore?
Old 08-12-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapTim View Post
Keep in mind that the IPad isn't a standalone machine.. you can't update it w/o plugging it into a real computer. So if you don't already have a PC/Mac that you can use to download/install updates into your Ipad, that option would be off the table.
Not sure where you get that idea. You do need wifi access or a data plan but you don't need to physically connect to anything to get updates on an iPad.
Old 08-12-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
Doesn't an iPad still use cell phone connectivity which only has a limit of about 2 miles from shore?
The 3G versions have a GPS chipset that can display position w/o cell service/data plan. It does suck that the mapping that comes with the iPad will not display a position UNLESS you have a data plan.

I have an aviation chart app, that displays, position heading, speed and altitude on my iPad with no expensive data plan, but the road map app that came on the iPad can't do the same. That's BS.

I bought the iPad as an Electronic Flight Bag solution for my aviation activities. Its much cheaper and easier to keep up to date approach plates electronically. So far, I'm pretty happy with the iPad in that role. I haven't yet started to consider how it might be of use on the boat, but I heartily agree that its unlikely an iPad will ever equal the nav capablities of a dedicated, weather proofed chart plotter mounted at the helm. If the iPad finds a place on the boat it will be because of its other capablities and as a back up to the helm mounted chartplotter and possilby even the antique handheld aviation GPS I've wired into the AIS radio for position data.

If you sail in an area with good cell coverage, weather info on the iPad might be worth the cost of the data plan, depending on how you use your boat.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 08-12-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-12-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandavis1 View Post
BTW the yacht is a cruiser 45DS Jeanneau new.
You bought a "45DS Jeanneau new" and can't afford a plotter? Is there something wrong with this picture?
Old 08-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd have to agree with JiffyLube... you can afford a $$$$ 45DS Jeanneau NEW but aren't willing to pony up the $1000 for a decent chartplotter that will be more reliable, more likely to survive and easier to use than either the iPad or the PC, especially given that you want to get RADAR in the future.

Neither the iPad or the PC are going to be all that useful when it comes to getting radar... picking the right chartplotter will effectively reduce the cost of buying the RADAR system, since you'll have a major component of it to begin with—the multifunction display.

BTW, IMHO, most of the people who say they can use a PC or an iPad as a chartplotter are looking to try and justify spending the money on the iPad or PC....and want to use the excuse that it can double as a chartplotter as one of their justifications. Neither the PC or the iPad, unless you're getting a ruggedized PC laptop like a Toughbook, is going to work in or survive the conditions on a small sailboat as a dedicated marine chartplotter or multifunction display. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandavis1 View Post
Thanks for everyone's reply. I picked up an iPad today. Haven't had time to play with it because of install on the autopilot. I should have said that most of my sailing will be on the east coast of Australia and all my covers are just about finished on top. So hopefully weather will not be a big problem.

I did plug it in to iTunes. I already had Navionics on my iphone so it loaded the low res version on the ipad right away and gave me a message that Navionics has just released a new program available at half price now.... no more information at the moment....

BTW the yacht is a cruiser 45DS Jeanneau new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 08-12-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-12-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Anyone who relies solely on electronics, and sails without DR skills and the paper, CALIBRATED COMPASS, stop watch and other tools necessary for DR is eventually in for a RUDE awakening someday.

I just lost FOUR GPS's, VHF, RADAR, EPIRB, NAV Lights AND my NAV COMPUTER etc. etc. on and on in a split second lightning strike three weeks ago. FOur or five members of my club were all perplexed how I was out sailing the next day? "Didn't you loose your electronics?" , "Yes, but I don't need them to go sailing."

Because I still know my DR / paper plotting I was still able to sail for the last three weeks including fog.. Sailing without traditional back up is simply un-wise..

That being said I would NEVER rely on my computer or iPad for navigation purposes. I own four dedicated chart plotters, one at the nav station, one at the helm and two plotting hand held units. Plotters are by a long shot more reliable. Wish I could say the same for my computers & phone. If I had a dime for each time they failed me I'd be retired and YES I do own BOTH Mac's and PC's and neither are imune from failure, freeze ups and hiccups. Actually my MAcbook Pro has been a huge POS so much so that I fought buying my wife an iPad. The iPad is a TOY not a device to be depended on for navigation IME...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 08-12-2010

GBurton is on a distinguished road
Agree that no paper chart backup is a foolish thing to do.......... and sailing in the fog without radar is a bit foolhardy too