Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2010

TheMadchef is on a distinguished road
Sailing from Georgian bay to Montreal

Hello all,

I am seriously considering moving from my home on Georgian bay (collingwood area) to Montreal for the winter and then sailing further east next season. My question is have any of you ever sailed this passage before
( through the Trent Severn waterway to lake Ontario then up the st Lawrence to Montreal)? I wouldn't be able to leave until September 7. Any feedback concerning length of time for this trip/ other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2010

TheMadchef is on a distinguished road
Wow, not even one reply...
Old 08-01-2010

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Sorry not very familiar with the Trent Severn but I would think early September would be an excellent time to go. I would check with the canal commission or what ever they are called to get the times that the locks will be operating and when they close them for the season. They might start to operate them only on weekends in the fall?

The other option of course is through the lakes. You could be in Erie in 3-4 days. Everything is down hill and mainly westerly breezes so you are going the right way for the lakes.

Good Luck
Old 08-01-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
What is your draft? The Trent Severn promises 5' I think but I have heard horror stories of boats with that draft hitting solid stuff (rock) in the channel.

What kind of boat and what experience do you have? You could go the other way- Huron, Erie, Welland Canal. For a typical 30 footer, assuming no bad weather - not a good assumption in September, from Tobermory to Montreal is about 18 days. I don't think that the Trent-Severn would be much quicker with the short days in September. This would be hurrying and not really enjoying the nice things to see along the way. You could do the odd overnight and do it faster of course. Most useful overnights would Tobermory to Sarnia, Sarnia to Lake Erie, length of Lake Erie (eg Pelee Island to Port Colborne), or length of Lake Ontario.
Old 08-01-2010
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
i have been through the trent -severn a couple of times making deliveries of power boats. i wouldn't take a sailboat that way. lake huron, lake erie, lake ontario & the st. lawrence is the way to go. you wont have to take the mast down either.
Old 08-01-2010

Johnhr is on a distinguished road
Down the trent

I have taken my saiboat down the trent It is an Exellent trip in the fall. It is not very busy and the scenery is great. You will need to take your mast off I would also call the Trent Waterway if you have close to 5ft draft the are supposed to keep 5ft minimum but sometimes waterlevels will vary. There is a mast crane at the Trenton yacht club to put mast back up. If you go through the welland canal route it is much more commecail/industrail route where the trent is more touristy.
John
sailonsimcoe.ca