14-year-old Laura Dekker free to leave - Page 3 - SailNet Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 73 Old 07-28-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 116
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Ok, then tell me: what's the age limit? I'm 27, and she has far more experience than I do. It's okay if I wanted to try it, I assume. I could go through the same steps as her, survival training, outfitting a boat, all the experience leading up to this, and nobody would have anything to say about it.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions on this, but as far as I can tell, the only "idiocy" going on here is the vitriolic rhetoric of the detractors.
jcalvinmarks is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 73 Old 07-28-2010
the pointy end is the bow
 
erps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Conner, Washington
Posts: 6,260
Thanks: 2
Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Rep Power: 10
   
Quote:
Ok, then tell me: what's the age limit? I'm 27, and she has far more experience than I do.
Umm, 7 years old?

Ray
S.V. Nikko
1983 Fraser 41
La Conner, WA


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
erps is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #23 of 73 Old 07-28-2010
Senior Member
 
remetau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 780
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
I personally feel that 14 years old is a little young for such an endeavor and I don’t understand this desire to be the youngest to do anything, but this is for her and her parents to decide and theirs alone. Nobody especially a court system should have any say in how this girl should live her life.

Don & Diana
sv Re Metau an HC33t

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
remetau is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #24 of 73 Old 07-28-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 116
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Umm, 7 years old?
Ok, I'll buy that. Six-year-olds may not circumnavigate. Write it down.

Some of you may already have seen this delightful little bit in The Onion.
jcalvinmarks is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #25 of 73 Old 07-28-2010
Senior Member
 
dhays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: University Place, WA
Posts: 631
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalvinmarks View Post
You know, there's plenty of room for disagreement and civil discussion on this issue, but that's a pretty callous, God-awful, piss-poor attitude you've got there.
Wow... I disagree. He didn't say that he wished for her to need rescue. He didn't say that if she did need rescue that she shouldn't be rescued. He didn't say that if she needed rescue new NZ that she shouldn't be rescued. He simply said that IF she needed rescue that it occurred within a taxing district that he wasn't a part of.

Your characterization of his comments is a bit overblown I think. He is not wishing a 14 year old girl ill.

Dave

47*20'11.7" N
122*35'20.8" W
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dhays is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #26 of 73 Old 07-28-2010
Last Man Standing
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 14,374
Thanks: 148
Thanked 135 Times in 128 Posts
Rep Power: 9
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
Picture this: Crew Wanted: sailing round the world, captain is a 14 year old girl. Who would even consider going? Really?
+1 - she couldn't even get her parents to go with her.

I'm all for even the very youngest out there to realize their dream of sailing around the world - even 4 year olds. It's just that their parents should be with them when they do it unless they're legal adults.

Pretty simple really.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
smackdaddy is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #27 of 73 Old 07-28-2010
San Juan 21 MKII
 
lydanynom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 238
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 6
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalvinmarks View Post
I could go through the same steps as her, survival training, outfitting a boat, all the experience leading up to this, and nobody would have anything to say about it.
I doubt it. I am certain that I have read many threads here lambasting adults who go to sea with what is alleged by the lambasters to be insufficient experience.


I don't think age is particularly useful as a metric here. I know several kids that age who are smarter and more levelheaded than most of the adults I interact with in a week. It just comes down to the individual, as it always does and as it always should.
lydanynom is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #28 of 73 Old 07-28-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 116
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Wow... I disagree. He didn't say that he wished for her to need rescue. He didn't say that if she did need rescue that she shouldn't be rescued. He didn't say that if she needed rescue new NZ that she shouldn't be rescued. He simply said that IF she needed rescue that it occurred within a taxing district that he wasn't a part of.
I think we can clearly infer that if it was up to him he wouldn't do it. He doesn't want to be a part of funding the rescue, and without funding the helicopters don't get off the ground and the rescue ships don't leave port. That's fine if that's his opinion, but my opinion is that it's a piss-poor attitude. To pick and choose who gets help when in distress based on whether or not he agrees with them? No, I stand by what I said. Piss-poor.

What's so distasteful to me is the concept that withholding assistance should be an option or a discussion point in the first place. Or that we should carve out some special-case exception to make them bear the cost of rescue. It's as though they aren't getting their way by keeping her in port, so as a spiteful parting shot they try to withhold emergency assistance if needed.
jcalvinmarks is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #29 of 73 Old 07-28-2010
Last Man Standing
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 14,374
Thanks: 148
Thanked 135 Times in 128 Posts
Rep Power: 9
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalvinmarks View Post
I think we can clearly infer that if it was up to him he wouldn't do it. He doesn't want to be a part of funding the rescue, and without funding the helicopters don't get off the ground and the rescue ships don't leave port. That's fine if that's his opinion, but my opinion is that it's a piss-poor attitude. To pick and choose who gets help when in distress based on whether or not he agrees with them? No, I stand by what I said. Piss-poor.

What's so distasteful to me is the concept that withholding assistance should be an option or a discussion point in the first place. Or that we should carve out some special-case exception to make them bear the cost of rescue. It's as though they aren't getting their way by keeping her in port, so as a spiteful parting shot they try to withhold emergency assistance if needed.
Though on the one hand you're right - that all the various thoughts of having the long, honorable tradition of providing assistance to anyone who needs it withdrawn under certain circumstances is a slippery slope - you also have to see the other side of it.

As Abby S's case clearly showed, there is a line somewhere at which point the honor in that tradition can be taken advantage of.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-28-2010 at 11:00 AM.
smackdaddy is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #30 of 73 Old 07-28-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 116
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Though on the one hand you're right - that all the various thoughts of having the long, honorable tradition of providing assistance to anyone who needs it withdrawn under certain circumstances is a slippery slope - you also have to see the other side of it.

As Abby S's case clearly showed, there is a line somewhere at which point the honor in that tradition can be taken advantage of.
I'm not sure that anything was clearly shown by Abby Sunderland, other than the Southern Ocean in June is a bad idea. She was dismasted, which I think is a legitimate cause to call for a rescue. Anything else in the story about poor boat choice, poor timing, possibly exploiting the voyage to make a reality TV show, etc. is ancillary. She was in trouble, she called for help, she was rescued, and that's the way things are supposed to be.

I do see the point you're trying to make, that the tradition of no-cost rescue to mariners in distress can be abused. Activating an EPIRB when there's no real danger, calling in a false May Day, those sorts of things. And in those cases, one can and should be required to reimburse the cost of the rescue and face criminal charges. But I absolutely don't think that was the case with Abby Sunderland.
jcalvinmarks is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Year in Sailing (2001) SailNet Learning to Sail Articles 0 12-30-2001 07:00 PM
The Year in Sailing SailNet Learning to Sail Articles 0 12-30-2000 07:00 PM
The First Year Cruising–What to Expect Sue & Larry Cruising Articles 0 12-01-2000 07:00 PM
From the Origin of Time to the Y2K Jim Sexton Seamanship Articles 0 10-14-1999 08:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome