Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2010

jcalvinmarks is on a distinguished road
Ok, then tell me: what's the age limit? I'm 27, and she has far more experience than I do. It's okay if I wanted to try it, I assume. I could go through the same steps as her, survival training, outfitting a boat, all the experience leading up to this, and nobody would have anything to say about it.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions on this, but as far as I can tell, the only "idiocy" going on here is the vitriolic rhetoric of the detractors.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2010
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Ok, then tell me: what's the age limit? I'm 27, and she has far more experience than I do.
Umm, 7 years old?
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 07-28-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
I personally feel that 14 years old is a little young for such an endeavor and I don’t understand this desire to be the youngest to do anything, but this is for her and her parents to decide and theirs alone. Nobody especially a court system should have any say in how this girl should live her life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Umm, 7 years old?
Ok, I'll buy that. Six-year-olds may not circumnavigate. Write it down.

Some of you may already have seen this delightful little bit in The Onion.
Old 07-28-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalvinmarks View Post
You know, there's plenty of room for disagreement and civil discussion on this issue, but that's a pretty callous, God-awful, piss-poor attitude you've got there.
Wow... I disagree. He didn't say that he wished for her to need rescue. He didn't say that if she did need rescue that she shouldn't be rescued. He didn't say that if she needed rescue new NZ that she shouldn't be rescued. He simply said that IF she needed rescue that it occurred within a taxing district that he wasn't a part of.

Your characterization of his comments is a bit overblown I think. He is not wishing a 14 year old girl ill.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
Old 07-28-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
Picture this: Crew Wanted: sailing round the world, captain is a 14 year old girl. Who would even consider going? Really?
+1 - she couldn't even get her parents to go with her.

I'm all for even the very youngest out there to realize their dream of sailing around the world - even 4 year olds. It's just that their parents should be with them when they do it unless they're legal adults.

Pretty simple really.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-28-2010
San Juan 21 MKII

lydanynom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I could go through the same steps as her, survival training, outfitting a boat, all the experience leading up to this, and nobody would have anything to say about it.
I doubt it. I am certain that I have read many threads here lambasting adults who go to sea with what is alleged by the lambasters to be insufficient experience.

I don't think age is particularly useful as a metric here. I know several kids that age who are smarter and more levelheaded than most of the adults I interact with in a week. It just comes down to the individual, as it always does and as it always should.
Old 07-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Wow... I disagree. He didn't say that he wished for her to need rescue. He didn't say that if she did need rescue that she shouldn't be rescued. He didn't say that if she needed rescue new NZ that she shouldn't be rescued. He simply said that IF she needed rescue that it occurred within a taxing district that he wasn't a part of.
I think we can clearly infer that if it was up to him he wouldn't do it. He doesn't want to be a part of funding the rescue, and without funding the helicopters don't get off the ground and the rescue ships don't leave port. That's fine if that's his opinion, but my opinion is that it's a piss-poor attitude. To pick and choose who gets help when in distress based on whether or not he agrees with them? No, I stand by what I said. Piss-poor.

What's so distasteful to me is the concept that withholding assistance should be an option or a discussion point in the first place. Or that we should carve out some special-case exception to make them bear the cost of rescue. It's as though they aren't getting their way by keeping her in port, so as a spiteful parting shot they try to withhold emergency assistance if needed.
Old 07-28-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I think we can clearly infer that if it was up to him he wouldn't do it. He doesn't want to be a part of funding the rescue, and without funding the helicopters don't get off the ground and the rescue ships don't leave port. That's fine if that's his opinion, but my opinion is that it's a piss-poor attitude. To pick and choose who gets help when in distress based on whether or not he agrees with them? No, I stand by what I said. Piss-poor.

What's so distasteful to me is the concept that withholding assistance should be an option or a discussion point in the first place. Or that we should carve out some special-case exception to make them bear the cost of rescue. It's as though they aren't getting their way by keeping her in port, so as a spiteful parting shot they try to withhold emergency assistance if needed.
Though on the one hand you're right - that all the various thoughts of having the long, honorable tradition of providing assistance to anyone who needs it withdrawn under certain circumstances is a slippery slope - you also have to see the other side of it.

As Abby S's case clearly showed, there is a line somewhere at which point the honor in that tradition can be taken advantage of.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-28-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Though on the one hand you're right - that all the various thoughts of having the long, honorable tradition of providing assistance to anyone who needs it withdrawn under certain circumstances is a slippery slope - you also have to see the other side of it.

As Abby S's case clearly showed, there is a line somewhere at which point the honor in that tradition can be taken advantage of.
I'm not sure that anything was clearly shown by Abby Sunderland, other than the Southern Ocean in June is a bad idea. She was dismasted, which I think is a legitimate cause to call for a rescue. Anything else in the story about poor boat choice, poor timing, possibly exploiting the voyage to make a reality TV show, etc. is ancillary. She was in trouble, she called for help, she was rescued, and that's the way things are supposed to be.

I do see the point you're trying to make, that the tradition of no-cost rescue to mariners in distress can be abused. Activating an EPIRB when there's no real danger, calling in a false May Day, those sorts of things. And in those cases, one can and should be required to reimburse the cost of the rescue and face criminal charges. But I absolutely don't think that was the case with Abby Sunderland.