Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2010
San Juan 21 MKII

lydanynom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJO View Post
Lets talk about sail/boats.
Maybe somebody can teach me how to get in a 11ft wide slip with a 10' beam sail boat in a river that flows at 10 plus knots. Just so you know I have no problem doing this with a twin screw motor-boat just with a single screw inboard 13,000 lbs sailboat.
My money is on the answer being, "spring lines." ;-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2010
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
Good point but we're sailing solo. yes it helps but even with a good deckhand a spring-line can't be hooked up until 1/3 of the boat is in the slip and at that time the river will want to (has turned) turn the boat sideways down river i.e. you're to late.
Old 07-30-2010
San Juan 21 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJO View Post
Good point but we're sailing solo. yes it helps but even with a good deckhand a spring-line can't be hooked up until 1/3 of the boat is in the slip and at that time the river will want to (has turned) turn the boat sideways down river i.e. you're to late.
I think we need pics or a diagram to really have this discussion, but I had in mind using the springs starting from the end of the finger, perpendicular to it, and then warping into the slip on them from there.
Old 07-30-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalvinmarks View Post
smacky: I think we're talking past each other. You're coming from a philosophical "is it right" or "should she go" perspective. I'm coming from a rule-of-law "does she have the right to do it" perspective. Incidentally, I think we're both right.
At the end of the day - I agree with you that it comes down to the legal question more than anything else. But even this is obviously getting pushed into grayer and grayer areas with the "youngest" craze.

If a kid is not a legal adult, they are the responsibility of the parent (in most societies). And if the kid is solo in a boat at sea for a year facing undeniably substantial risks - alone - without parental supervision - then the parent is an open target for neglect and endangerment charges.

When one of these punks buys it at sea or at the hands of not-nice people, things will go nuclear pretty quickly from a legal and political perspective.

It's all fun and games until...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-30-2010

jcalvinmarks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
At the end of the day - I agree with you that it comes down to the legal question more than anything else. But even this is obviously getting pushed into grayer and grayer areas with the "youngest" craze.

If a kid is not a legal adult, they are the responsibility of the parent (in most societies). And if the kid is solo in a boat at sea for a year facing undeniably substantial risks - alone - without parental supervision - then the parent is an open target for neglect and endangerment charges.

When one of these punks buys it at sea or at the hands of not-nice people, things will go nuclear pretty quickly from a legal and political perspective.

It's all fun and games until...

I do see your point. Solo circcumnavigation, even with stops and assistance, is serious business. I don't buy for a second that allowing a 14-year-old to do it amounts to endangerment prima facie. But in a world where a burglar can sue a homeowner when he cuts his hand breaking the window so he can steal a TV, I guess anything's possible.

And as I said, I've never suggested that this is a good idea. I've only ever said that she has the right to do it. If someone doesn't like it, then don't let your own 14-year-old do it.

But there are a lot worse things that a teenager can be doing with their time than sailing around the world. Like driving a car in traffic. Or joining street gangs. Or doing drugs. Or getting pregnant. So it's hard for me to get really worked up and animated about how "idiotic" a 'round the world sailing journey is.

Long and short of it is this: she's going, regardless of what anyone else thinks. The decent thing to do is to at least wish her good luck.
Old 07-31-2010

bjung is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

Oh, please, keep the legal talk out of it! In most european countries the legal age of consent is between 14 and 16. Obviously they grant their children a little more maturity and ability to make decisions that affect the rest of their lives...
Punks?? That kind of classification should be left for kids hanging on a street corner with no direction, obviously not the case here.
Think of the life lessons that Abby has made on her trip, I would think there isn't going to be much to shake her up on the hard...
I would also be more comfortable for my child to circumnavigate(with proper training) than to face NYC rush hour at 16.
Quote:
Long and short of it is this: she's going, regardless of what anyone else thinks. The decent thing to do is to at least wish her good luck.
That's about the bottom line...
Old 07-31-2010

PierreMundo is on a distinguished road
Date is set!

Laura will set sail at wednesday. Her first leg will be to Portugal. Her father will accompany her on this leg to test the boat and make improvements. From Portugal she will set sail alone. Fair winds to Laura. www.lauradekker.nl

Last edited by PierreMundo; 07-31-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-31-2010
San Juan 21 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreMundo View Post
.nl
Wait... She's Dutch?

Well, cripes, I didn't know that. Kind of kills a lot of the "kids that age aren't mature enough" arguments we've seen here. Like I said in my post above, too much looking at the whole world through your own cultural biases in these discussions.
Old 08-05-2010

PierreMundo is on a distinguished road
On her way!

Wednesday August 4, 2010 Laura started her global voyage and is on her way to Portugal!

Dutch teen Laura Dekker begins global solo voyage quest - ESPN
Old 08-12-2010

surelyujest71 is on a distinguished road
Good luck, Laura!

I don't know too much about the various sailboats out there (yet), but I do think that choosing a cruiser over a racer was a good idea... and also shows a nice degree of maturity in the choice. After all, it's not about how fast she gets around the world - it's about the successful conclusion of the trip. I cheered Abby on, as she attempted her trip; I only wondered at why it had to be a racing vessel... and why one so expensive! Plenty of nice boats available, out there, for a lot less money, that are already well equipped for such long trips. I hope the poor ending to her trip didn't sour Abby on sailing... I think it's amazing for someone to go out there, and try to live their dreams. I wish more of us had families that encouraged us to live our dreams.

I've known some 14 year olds who were very mature adults. At least, so you'd think, if you'd met them. I've also known plenty of people 30 years or older who should be sent back to kindergarten just to see how much more mature small children are than them.

Oh, yes: That "youngest to climb Everest" was a 13 year old boy, from California, just this past May. He has a goal of climbing the highest peak on all seven continents... and Everest was number 6. All that's left, is Antarctica. He must have started his climbing career some time ago.

Good luck, Laura! Keep safe.