SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   14-year-old Laura Dekker free to leave (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/66800-14-year-old-laura-dekker-free-leave.html)

PierreMundo 07-27-2010 09:49 AM

14-year-old Laura Dekker free to leave

Laura Dekker is free to go! She is back under her parents supervision. And accoding to the court well prepared to set off. She has an extended sail-plan and followed an survival course. Her plan is to set off in 2 weeks. So at least she is much better prepared then last year. Good luck to Laura!

smackdaddy 07-27-2010 10:04 AM

Lovely. Just lovely.

jcalvinmarks 07-27-2010 10:23 AM

She gets sympathy points from me because the idea of the courts seizing custody of a minor child from his or her parents over something like this galls my Libertarian point of view.

If she wants to go, and she is prepared to go, and her legal guardian assents to it, then I wish her all the luck in the world. Just because someone harbors concern over her safety, that doesn't trump her parent(s)' right to let her do as she wishes, within the bounds of the law. The law doesn't say anything about "no going around the world until you're 18."

And if she gets into trouble out there, she has as much of a right as anyone else to expect a rescue.

So there. That'll get the pudding stirred up ...

TQA 07-27-2010 10:41 AM

Changed boats too; now on a Jeanneau Gin fizz a 38 footer from the 70s.

It is not on Mahina's offshore list though.

jerryrlitton 07-27-2010 10:52 AM

As far as I am concerned the courts effectively kidnapped the child.

kidnap definition
kidˇnap (kidnap′)
transitive verb kidnapped -ˇnapped′ or kidnaped -ˇnaped′, kidnapping -ˇnap′ˇping or kidnaping -ˇnap′ˇing
  1. to steal (a child)
  2. to seize and hold or carry off (a person) against that person's will, by force or fraud, often for ransom
I would look into suing the court.

rockDAWG 07-27-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcalvinmarks (Post 626119)
if she gets into trouble out there, she has as much of a right as anyone else to expect a rescue.

I think the authority would rescue her before the others (average Joe - the old man) :)

jcalvinmarks 07-27-2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryrlitton (Post 626137)
I would look into suing the court.

I'm not sure how far they'd get on that one. Presumably, the same kind of wack-a-doodle judges that took custody of her in the first place would decide whether or not to hear the case.

But the point is well taken. Scares the poop out of me, because you always think of the courts as your last-line of defense to get some kind of relief when someone is messing with you, or worse with your kids. Where do you go when the courts are doing the harassing?

bjung 07-27-2010 11:45 AM

The court ruling should have specified a more seaworthy vessel....
How cheap of a boat can I put my child into, before the risks become too great?:confused:
Other than that I have no problem with a well prepared, knowledgable 14 yo girl circumnavigating.

smackdaddy 07-27-2010 11:55 AM

I checked the Jenneau threads to see if she had any questions yet. Nothing. Keep your eyes peeled. I'm sure we'll get something soon on tabbed bulkheads and backing plates.

CapTim 07-27-2010 12:15 PM

[sarcasm sub_set="mind.boggled"]

Awesome. I mean.. if she took a survival class, what could possibly go wrong? She's Certified(tm) now!

So why don't the rest of us have to get Certified? Doesn't anybody love me? Why won't the government kidnap me? Bawawawa.. nobody likes Tim :( :( :(

If only I were a 14 year old girl.. then it would matter what I do. Curse this wanger and all these birthday cards!

[/sarcasm]