Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2010

glmark is on a distinguished road
I'm going to sort of agree with Dylanwinter1 because it's what I did, though lessons are a really terrific way to avoid the incredibly stupid things you can do on any boat. Bigger doesn't mean too expensive. There are an awful lot of great boats out there for bargain prices. Mine was in better shape than the day it was made, more gear, plus trailer for $6K. Walk around the marinas and haunt the web. Get a survey when you finally find the boat of your dreams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
My $.02.

Annapolis is great from what my Uncle tells me. He has sailed there for decades.

Stay under 30 feet at this point. Save a ton of money. Build your skills along with your wife. A small family can cruise great in a 27-29ft boat.

FWIW, my folks would spend two weeks with them and 5 grandkids on a Cal 29. Worked out great.

Good luck and thanks for serving.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-28-2010

mpickering is on a distinguished road
Your big challenge in wanting to sail on the Potomac beyond draft issues is finding a slip. They are notoriously difficult to get in my experience. If you're on base with slip access (Quantico) you might have an easier time. But usually the Potomac marinas that support sailboats have waiting lists 1-2 years long.

I had an O'Day 22 on the Potomac. Bought it as a turnkey boat. It was at Washington Sailing Marina south of Reagan Airport and my experience has been borne out that the only way into the marina short of a long wait is to literally buy a boat already there. They'll transfer the slip to you if the seller agrees as part of the transaction. I see ads fairly regularly for boats at WSM that include slip transfers.

Draft is an issue. To maintain access, a draw of 2 1/2 feet or less is ideal. Deeper drafts can work but you'll have to pay close attention to your charts and stick to the channels. Given the narrowness of the Potomac in many places this can severely limit your sailing options. Even with my O'Day's sub 2-foot draw I still ran her aground once.

Despite wanting to start out small on the Potomac, my wife quickly wanted to upgrade the next season to something that didn't require us having to tack every 10 minutes as well and play dodge the powerboat in crossing two shipping channels. Now we're on the Bay with a lot more open space.

You don't necessarily need to take the courses to get the big boat experience. Get to know local sailors and groups for various boats and you'll have no problem finding rides on other people's boats.

In terms of boat type, that is up to you. What can you handle cost and rig-wise? Given my wife only likes to assist in pulling the jib sheets, I single-hand the boat most of the time so that drove a lot of my decision making. Like your spouse, mine wanted a galley, a head, some space down below. To get that you'll need to be looking at boats usually no smaller than 26 feet to get at least six feet of headroom down below. 27-30 feet is the usual "sweet spot" for first boats in terms of affordability, ongoing costs, sail handling, docility and so on.

But with the Potomac, you'll have to pay very close attention to the keel setup to get a boat in that size with low draft. Most are shoal draft keels or swing keels.

Consider the Chesapeake Bay. Seriously. Middle Bay between Pax River and Annapolis is within an hour's drive and there are lots of options for marinas and boats. And with the exception of the marina approaches, you won't be constrained heavily by draft in most cases. My Catalina 27 draws 4 feet. Can't get into some places say a shoal draft keel can but shallow enough for most of the Bay and more access than boats that draw 6 feet. And lots of wonderful places you can daysail or overnight to and enjoy the dinner/cocktail thing.

Matt
Star #6100
Annapolis, MD
Old 07-28-2010

MarioG is on a distinguished road
We started On the C-22 and weekended 13 times while we were teaching ourselves to sail including never haveing a motor on it and had a great time every time even when the first mate had me storm chaseing solo.

Our Chrysler C-26 has been just as enjoyable, but I'm glad we started with the 22.

We do like the size of the C-26 for the coastal curising.
Old 07-28-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Start small and cheap learning to sail and all the other things associated with boat ownership...then after a couple of seasons if you find you actually use it and can afford it, go as big and expensive as you comfortably can. It worked for us, and I'm so glad we didn't mess around and jumped from a 20' $400 boat to our current one.

My $.000002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 08-20-2010

gallan947 is on a distinguished road
I agree with Dylanwinter1 - and not just because we're both from Oxford,

Few years back a friend (who told me he could sail) and I bought a 24' bilge keel boat from Ebay, the next day we're sailing it into the Solent (south coast England) how we didnt die is beyond me, in the few times we took it out, we tore the sails, ran aground, damaging the keel so when the tide came in the boat filled with water, we even lost the outboard over the back..

I went right back to square one - I've done my RYA lvl 1 and 2 this summer, and now had about 50 hours sailing dingies - mainly a wayfarer - i've just bought myself a nice small, non expensive West Wight Potter 15 - and i'm going to learn slowly, I paid £850 for a good condition boat, with trailor and outboard, and a mooring for the next 2 months.. I SO wish i'd done this in the first place.