Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2010

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
Agree with SF...$10-12,000 is conservative unless you are doing everything yourself.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2010

DropTop is on a distinguished road
I agree with the above posts, an outboard is not practical for a boat that size...

I have an outboard with electric start and remote shift / throttle in the cockpit on my 5,000# Hunter 27', and I'm glad I do most of the time (low maintenance mostly), but I also know that if my boat was any bigger or heavier it wouldn't make sense to have anything but an inboard.

I would never recommend a outboard on anything larger than a 28', and hardly ever recommend an inboard on anything smaller than a 27'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-30-2010

outdoorsman37 is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone! It has a fuel tank but I don't know how that helps. I will take a picture this weekend. Yes I did get the boat cheap. The engines that I have read will work follow:

Westerbeke 30;
Universal 3 cylinder;
Yanmar 2GMF,
2gm20f
2QM15,
3GM30F;
3ym20
3ym30
Perkins 4-107

I can get a Westerbeke 4-91 30 cheap. Should I do it? everything points me to the yanmar 30 or 20.

any comments? any other engines that would work?

thanks!
Old 07-31-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsman37 View Post
Thanks everyone! It has a fuel tank but I don't know how that helps.
Open the filler and sniff. See if you can smell whether it has or had gasoline or diesel in it.

Do research on-line (Google is your friend). For the year of your boat. See if you can find out whether they typically had gasoline or diesel engines in them.

There used to be a very active Pearson mailing list hosted by Sailnet that was a terrific Pearson resource, but I guess they weren't making enough advert revenues off the mailing lists they hosted and they one day just up and pulled the plug w/o warning. Now there are two Pearson mailing lists, one on Yahoo! and one on Google, both of them together not having as much traffic as the Sailnet one used to have, I'm told. But you can look for them, join them, and ask there. The Pearson activity on Sailnet's web forums, which is where I imagine Sailnet hoped to drive everybody, isn't even merely a shadow of the old Pearson mailing list activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsman37 View Post
Yes I did get the boat cheap.
Here's the thing about "cheap" boats: They more-often-than-not aren't. Rarely does somebody just up and "give away" a good boat that's in good repair.

You should probably pop for having a qualified sailing yacht surveyor give her a good going-over before you're out one day in a stiff blow and find yourself with your mast, rigging, etc. down around your ears, or worse.

Good luck.

Jim
Old 09-03-2010

awatts44 is on a distinguished road
Pearson 31 engine

The P31-II came with a Yanmar 2G diesel. This is an excellent engine. Go to any marina and half the 30 ft class boats will have this engine. The P-31 is well laid out and the engine is very accessible. Installing a new engine should be a fairly straight forward operation given that the engine mounts and prop shaft are in good shape. Go for the inboard. This is too much boat and way too heavy for an outboard. I'd guess that it would be very difficult to handle with an outboard. That is a bad idea.