SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   New to sailing need some HELP??? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/66897-new-sailing-need-some-help.html)

Death3 07-30-2010 07:00 PM

New to sailing need some HELP???

Ok well i just started to get into sailing and i have a couple of questions. First off i was wondering how do i get a sailboat license i guess what i mean is can i take a course online somewhere and just do everything over the internet also are there any sailing courses online.

Next you dont have to answer but i live in close to Tampa Fl and was wondering if there are people that know of prices for keeping your boat at a marina (any where in Florida is fine) just wondering the average cost.
It would be a great help if i could hear some of your answers. Thank you

:chainsaw

mccary 07-30-2010 09:07 PM

There are plenty of sailing courses over the country. Check with your local state natural resources authority to see if they require a specific course. I am in Maryland and they require a particluar safety course if you were born after 7/1/72. Beyond that, there are US Coast Guard courses in seamanship and sailing, there are many more hands on the tiller courses offered by different sailing schools.

You might also find your local sailing club and see about crewing on the local beer can races (most often Wednesday nights), they are a undle of fun and you will learn much about sailing.

capttb 07-31-2010 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Licenses? We don't have to show you no licenses! We don't need no stinkin' licenses!!

Death3 07-31-2010 12:12 PM

lol i hope thats not really you:chainsaw

judika 07-31-2010 02:24 PM

Slip rental

I had a slip on the Ancote River in Tarpon Springs. The monthly rate was $ 12.00 per foot plus electricity and state tax. They also required a security deposit and a 30 day written notice to cancell the lease agreement. Some marinas may charge as high as $20.00 per foot depending on the location and the aminities.

dnf777 07-31-2010 02:31 PM

Check with ASA and USSailing online. They both have nice web sites with links to local accredited schools.

Tempest 07-31-2010 02:55 PM

If you are sailing ( no motor) you probably will not need a license.

If there is a motor involved you will need to check with the state ( fla) to see what they require. If they require a license involving a boating safety course it will more than likely cover all the basics but will not be sailing specific. ( mostly Rules, laws, safety etc etc.)

Beyond that, if you want to learn to sail after you take the safety course...ASA and US boating have schools everywhere.....and joining some wed night racing will help.......as has been mentioned already.

capttb 07-31-2010 08:46 PM

It's my high school graduation picture, I've let myself go some since then.

Death3 08-01-2010 04:00 PM

Thanks Tempest i just went to boatus and signed up for some courses and just finished getting my boat safety ID. looking forward to these courses
:chainsaw

Death3 08-01-2010 11:23 PM

Also i was wondering what other License i would need cause ive been goin through many diffrent threads and people talking about all these different types and stuff oh and i will be sailing in Florida, Bahamas, carrib, etc if that helps