OUPV License Test? - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-01-2010
mrybas's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 85
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 7
mrybas is on a distinguished road
OUPV License Test?

Well I thought my Captan's license was in "continuity" (the coast guard used to have this option for those that didn't want to go through the hassle of renewing, but didn't want there license to expire). However, I missed a signature on the continuity application (and was never notified) and my license expired. Now I have to take a Captain's license course (I originally took one from Sea School) or go to a Coast guard testing center and take the test. I don't want to pay for or sit through a 50hr course......has anyone just gone to a CG testing center and taken the OUPV test? Was it difficult? What did you use to study?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 08-01-2010
lydanynom's Avatar
San Juan 21 MKII
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 238
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 5
lydanynom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
Well I thought my Captan's license was in "continuity" (the coast guard used to have this option for those that didn't want to go through the hassle of renewing, but didn't want there license to expire). However, I missed a signature on the continuity application (and was never notified) and my license expired. Now I have to take a Captain's license course (I originally took one from Sea School) or go to a Coast guard testing center and take the test. I don't want to pay for or sit through a 50hr course......has anyone just gone to a CG testing center and taken the OUPV test? Was it difficult? What did you use to study?
This may be a naive question, but if you already have the license shouldn't you know everything that might be on the test?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 08-01-2010
Boasun's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 3,058
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydanynom View Post
This may be a naive question, but if you already have the license shouldn't you know everything that might be on the test?
Some people though they learned the various subjects to gain the license, they don't use half of what they learn and forget everything.

So if you don't use it, you lose IT!

Thus it is back to the books for a large number of people...
__________________
1600 Ton Master, 2nd Mate Unlimited Tonnage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 08-01-2010
lydanynom's Avatar
San Juan 21 MKII
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 238
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 5
lydanynom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Some people though they learned the various subjects to gain the license, they don't use half of what they learn and forget everything.

So if you don't use it, you lose IT!

Thus it is back to the books for a large number of people...
I suppose that's reasonable enough, but if that's the case then it's definitely a good thing it expires.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 08-01-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 3,425
Thanks: 6
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 15
sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I took the test for a masters without attending a school.

Get an CD exam, and practice. practice. It is essential to know the rule exceptions, internalational versus inland. Might be worth making flash cards for the exceptions, you only get 5 errors out of 50. Be sure you know your way around the CFRs. Good luck.
__________________
Certified...in several regards...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 08-01-2010
mrybas's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 85
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 7
mrybas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
I took the test for a masters without attending a school.

Get an CD exam, and practice. practice. It is essential to know the rule exceptions, internalational versus inland. Might be worth making flash cards for the exceptions, you only get 5 errors out of 50. Be sure you know your way around the CFRs. Good luck.
Where did you get your cd exam from?

lydanynom- I'd bet 3 out of 4 people with auto license couldn't pass the written part of a drivers test without brushing up on the rules.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 08-01-2010
lydanynom's Avatar
San Juan 21 MKII
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 238
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 5
lydanynom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
lydanynom- I'd bet 3 out of 4 people with auto license couldn't pass the written part of a drivers test without brushing up on the rules.
You are probably right, and I think that's a horrible state of affairs, particularly since that test is a superficial joke to begin with.

The test should be much more thorough and we should be required to retake it in order to renew.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 08-01-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,855
Thanks: 4
Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts
Rep Power: 8
Tempest is on a distinguished road
Personally, I'd probably go back to sea school and re-do the course.
I understand it's an expense of time and money that you may not want to incur.

If you just take the CG test, you'd still have to put in the time for independent study, just not the money. And you never know what questions you'll get.
Sea School will gear you up for their tests.

Do you have your Twic card yet? You will also need to start that process if you don't. The coast guard won't issue a document without it.

You'll need a drug test for the CG and new physicals and eye exams.
__________________
Tempest
Sabre 34
Morgan, NJ
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 08-01-2010
lydanynom's Avatar
San Juan 21 MKII
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 238
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 5
lydanynom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Sea School will gear you up for their tests.
Great, sounds like the maritime version of "no child left behind".
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 08-02-2010
mrybas's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 85
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 7
mrybas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Personally, I'd probably go back to sea school and re-do the course.
I understand it's an expense of time and money that you may not want to incur.

If you just take the CG test, you'd still have to put in the time for independent study, just not the money. And you never know what questions you'll get.
Sea School will gear you up for their tests.

Do you have your Twic card yet? You will also need to start that process if you don't. The coast guard won't issue a document without it.

You'll need a drug test for the CG and new physicals and eye exams.
I have everything thing complete besides taking the OUPV exam (TWIC card, drug screening program, physical, etc). I completed all of these things while I thought I would only need to complete the "take home" renewal test.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:37 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.