Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010

Kwasiemoto is on a distinguished road
Keel modification

I have a cold molded 32' winged keeled sailboat. I think her performance is being restricted by the keel. I have had the boat 10 yrs. and have done much to dial her in, and now stand, more certain, then ever before, it is the stubby,winged keel, that needs changing to release her in the water.
My thoughts are, because I have a budget, to cut the wings off, not buy a whole keel, and add a section extending down a couple of feet, with a bulb at the bottom. Like a modern keel on a J boat, or what have you. My biggest concern is, the attachment of the extention. My current plan, which I am un sure of, is to cast the extention with j shaped bolts, and then drill the exsisting keel stub with verticle holes to match up with the extention, and horizontal holes in the stub where the top of the new bolts end. That is where I would washer, and nut the new keel extention in place. Not sure if that is a strong enough method. I will proably use an epoxy with fiiler in between the matching sections, and 5, or 6 1/2" bolts. The Boat You may know is Shadowfox, and is built for stout. I don't believe she can't handle the increased stresses.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2010

berecz is on a distinguished road
keel modification

I have done the same keel modification on my hunter28 the same way you described, it came out just fine. I did it because where I sail we have lots of kelp.If you vant more information drop me a line
Imre berecz
Old 10-21-2010

Yes, I would be interested in hearing what you did, and how you did it. I don't want the nightmareish notion that my modification would lead to a disaster any where in my head.
Old 10-21-2010

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
Since you are casting the extension and bulb is there any reason you can't cast the entire keel? The deeper keel will make better use of the ballast so you can probably even use the existing material to cast the new keel (assuming it's lead). Considering the tremendous loads on the keel I'm not sure I would completely trust a keel bolted together in sections. Do you have any pics of the boat?
Old 10-21-2010

keel modification

The hunter28 keel has a bulb and wings.First I designed the new finn keel shape that I wanted,maintaining the same keel weight.That resulted in to increasing the draft from 45 inches to 63. So I was able to see that I have to add 18 inches to the bottom.I made a wooden templet of the keel profile above the bulb and the wings. this told me that my old keel profile is NACA63A012. I got this information from a book called;Theory of wing sctions,
With this information I was able to calculate the weight of the additional keel I needed It was 1300lb.I ordered that from a well known company in Mexico.
I rented a small electric chainsaw and in 8 hours cut of the bulb and wings.
I stop at this time because from here on pictures that I have would help to show the process,but I don't know how to show it to you? If you let me know your e-mail than I can send it to you.
Imre Berecz
Old 10-21-2010

keel modification

To,CJ34
I saved about $9000 by not replacing the whole keel.Keel makers charge about $4 per lb. plus other extras,They only give you $.50 per lb.for the scrapped lead.Yes, it is lot of work what I did but, if someone has the time and the inclanation it is worth it.To overcome the strength problem I tru bolted the additional keel part to the hull,so now I have 12 keel bolt instead of the 6. Imre Berecz
Old 01-10-2011

I have desided to get a knew keel. It will be the NACA 63A12 at the top, and 63A8 at the bottom. It is fair priced, but more expensive then any cars I own.
I will be droping the keel this Saturday.
Old keel is up for sale. is a winged keel about 2700 lbs, and is being offered at 1 buck a pound.
Love to see the pictures you have of your keel project. dmc.pec@sbcglobal.net
Old 04-12-2011

Need to sell about 2700 lbs of a lead keel. .75cents a pound.
Old 04-12-2011
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Where are you?
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 05-09-2011

Well my new keel project is mostly done. I still need to see how the boat performs differently under sail. Still working on getting the rig put together, then out for a test sail. So Far in just motoring back to my home slip I noticed a positive difference in the way she stays on course. She needs less attention to keep on course.
This last haul out lasted about 4 months, and involved areas of work I had no experience, and few people to call on for answers about how to do it. I would get as much info as I could, and when I got conflicting bits of info I would ask Don Holland, the owner at Cabrillo Boat Shop, and he would have a clear reasonable answer.
I mean he has been at this line of work for 30 years or better, and he does have a vested interest in the costomer's positive out come.
My project involved work out of Cabrillo Boat's yard, Don made allowances. It took a lot of cordinating. Don helped me on weekends, and persuaded me several times not to take any short cuts, noteing the importance it was to me to have it done right. After months out of water, and other things needing my attention, that encouragment was very suportive.
This keel replacment, mast re build project was an exspensive undertaking for me, it was not a project without problems, and challenges. I am very greatful I have a boat yard I can depend on. Thanks to you Don, Sons and crew at Cabrillo Boat Shop. It came out great.