Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree277Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2014
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road
Re: Is flying a pirate flag lame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
wait. wasn't there a giant alligator in that lake? oh, right that was a movie with Bridget Fonda (totally hot )
Not filmed in Lake Placid... Lake Placid, CT --- but playing off the LP name.

long story --- shorten --- I am in a committee for marketing the county where I worked.. We came up with three ad campaigns for the town... In the discussions they wrote some copy: "Placid lakes" and I suggested we not use anything that reminds people of Lake Placid.

I was told I worry too much about Lake Placid

two months latter Lake Placid (under the name of a consortium) put in a bid to run the marketing of the county the town is in.

I remind them that we needed to watch out for LP and the response was: "You did?"

People like to be right, until they are wrong --- then they pretend they don't know what you are talking about.

_____
Titus Tiger

Rock the rogers
captain jack likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post
If you really know physics.. I wonder if angels had wings on their backs, could they really fly?
well, the wing surface does have to be on either side of the body or the flying object would spiral down like a maple leaf. however, angels, as drawn, cold never exist. for one thing, there is no extra musculature for the wings. notice that flying animals have well developed chest and shoulder muscles. angels just have normal human musculature.

body weight would be an issue. most flying animals have hollow bones. pterasaurs had hollow bones but they had fine interior 'webbing' inside the bone, instead of being completely hollow, that added structural integrity without adding too much weight. an excellent design. in order to fly, angels would need some form of hollowed bones. plus, they would have to crap a lot. carrying a lot of waste matter adds weight. that's why birds crap all the time.

the final problem would be balance. angels have bird wings but no tail feathers. the balance would not allow them to fly. animals without tail feathers, like bats and pterosaurs, have wing membranes that extend farther towards the rear of the body, often attached to the legs.

insects don't have tail wing surfaces but, their bodies are balanced for this and insect flight doesn't work exactly the same as other animal flight. insects are much more complicated; very well designed flyers. there was an article in a science magazine, recently, about robot insects that fly like real insects. it really goes in depth about the miracle of insect flight and how it goes contradictory to much of what we assumed about the physics of flight. all very interesting. stuff we truly only recently understood and are still learning about.

science and physics do not have all of the answers, yet. much of what we assume to be fact is really theory. just like much of what we 'know' of the physics of sailing is actually the physics of slow flight applied to water, because water is also a fluid. however, water is a very special fluid with it's own qualities. properties which make things on this planet possible. since sailing is not a relevant thing, except for play, science has not spent the time to truly understand sailing as they have to understand flight.

even much of what is commonly assumed as fact is really myth. if you look on the net you will see lots of people who are 'authorities' on sailing, or even flight, trying to explain how lift is generated...and teaching totally incorrect information. but i digress.

the long and short? no. as depicted, angels could not fly.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to captain jack For This Useful Post:
titustiger27 (01-06-2014)
Old 01-05-2014
Randy Hines

randyrhines is on a distinguished road

I need to replace my old standard horizon instruments with new , not to expensive ones, speed ,depth, wind, any suggestions under $1,500.00 could I squeeze a chartplotter in for that, assuming of course I will continue to fly the Jolly...???
help!
Old 01-05-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Took an art teacher or two to help myself and daughter get need skills per say to design my personalized Pirate flag.........

See avitar.....I won a bottle of rum from having it made etc too!

Marty
bigdogandy and titustiger27 like this.
Old 01-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
well, the wing surface does have to be on either side of the body or the flying object would spiral down like a maple leaf. however, angels, as drawn, cold never exist. for one thing, there is no extra musculature for the wings. notice that flying animals have well developed chest and shoulder muscles. angels just have normal human musculature.

body weight would be an issue. most flying animals have hollow bones. pterasaurs had hollow bones but they had fine interior 'webbing' inside the bone, instead of being completely hollow, that added structural integrity without adding too much weight. an excellent design. in order to fly, angels would need some form of hollowed bones. plus, they would have to crap a lot. carrying a lot of waste matter adds weight. that's why birds crap all the time.

the final problem would be balance. angels have bird wings but no tail feathers. the balance would not allow them to fly. animals without tail feathers, like bats and pterosaurs, have wing membranes that extend farther towards the rear of the body, often attached to the legs.

insects don't have tail wing surfaces but, their bodies are balanced for this and insect flight doesn't work exactly the same as other animal flight. insects are much more complicated; very well designed flyers. there was an article in a science magazine, recently, about robot insects that fly like real insects. it really goes in depth about the miracle of insect flight and how it goes contradictory to much of what we assumed about the physics of flight. all very interesting. stuff we truly only recently understood and are still learning about.

science and physics do not have all of the answers, yet. much of what we assume to be fact is really theory. just like much of what we 'know' of the physics of sailing is actually the physics of slow flight applied to water, because water is also a fluid. however, water is a very special fluid with it's own qualities. properties which make things on this planet possible. since sailing is not a relevant thing, except for play, science has not spent the time to truly understand sailing as they have to understand flight.

even much of what is commonly assumed as fact is really myth. if you look on the net you will see lots of people who are 'authorities' on sailing, or even flight, trying to explain how lift is generated...and teaching totally incorrect information. but i digress.

the long and short? no. as depicted, angels could not fly.
Bumble bee's can not fly according to physics either..........so from that, IF angels did exist, my swag would be they would fly. but then, I am not physicist either......so my vote is probably wrong, not worthy of, and all of them fun things.

I will not fly a typical pirate flag, but do fly my personal made and designed one without thinking twice. As the real pirates from the 1700's etc, all had there OWN flag, much like a country has their own flag. For me, my personal pirate flag per say, is no different than a club burgee, state or province flag, country flag, school favorite sports team flag.....etc etc. If you want to fly an atypical skull and cross bones......lame!

Marty
Andrew65 likes this.
Old 01-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Bumble bee's can not fly according to physics either..........so from that, IF angels did exist, my swag would be they would fly. but then, I am not physicist either......so my vote is probably wrong, not worthy of, and all of them fun things.

Marty
quite right. the reason old school physics showed that bumble bees couldn't fly, when we all know they can, is because physics assumes constant fluid flow around the wings. that is one basic assumption of the explanation of lift. however, recent in depth study of insect flight, which has only been possible due to technological developments, have shown that the flow is not constant around insect wings. this changes the concept of lift generation, at least asfar as such wings are concerned.

physics also predicted that, because of the muscle mass weight to wingspan ratios, condors were the largest possible flying animals. then pteranodons were discovered, with their 15 foot wing spans. so, physics expanded their rule to say that they were the largest possible flying animals.

then they discovered quetzalcoatlas, with it's 30 foot wing span.

nature is more marvelous than humans presently have the ability to understand. new things are learned or discovered every year. in the meantime, our kds are taught that our present theories are hard fact. so, most adults go through life thinking the science they learned as kids was actually true and their kids learn a totally different scientific 'fact'.

this s not to say that science has no answers. we create new inventions that seem to work by the theories we believe, even if those theories are proven wrong later. in some ways, it really is not necessary to know why something works in order to make it work. it is only necessary to know that it does work.

people were sailing for centuries before anyone had any idea about aerodynamics.

but the flight of angels, as depicted, is impossible for reasons other than lift generation. n my post about that, you might note that none of the reasons have to do with the physics of aerodynamics...except the question of a balanced wing plan ( no tail feathers ).

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-06-2014

ah yes, the rule of how science changes, but does not in reality. Like when I was in college studying botony/horticulture, there were two kingdoms of animals and plants........ my youngest daughter comes home from jr high science class proclaiming there is three other kingdoms, so a total of 5?!?!? iirc from 10 or so yrs ago.......The plant kingdom had been split from how I remembered it. Some of the things like algae now had its own kingdom, and was not part of the plant kingdom.....hmmmmm.....

well any who........

Angels could be the same way, have hollow bones, magic flying dust, muscles that are not shown or known about, or some other thing we do not know today. Then again, it could be they are aliens, and the people at the time had to explain things as they knew it, and these beings got wings! even tho they may have had a jet pack or equal......

That is my story, I'm sticken to it, even if proven wrong over the nxt 5 min or longer! With a major big grin here! adn raising of my beer mug!

Marty
captain jack likes this.
Old 01-06-2014
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Arrrrrrgh! 53 pages discussin' about whether somethin that's totally lame....is lame? Must be winter:-))
Minnewaska likes this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 01-06-2014

You were not out sailing this weekend JRD!!! yumping yiminy! or is that arrrrrrg!

Both days would have been nice out, yeah a bit cold.....but still sunny and 8-12 knots of wind........on the first part of january vs back east.......gotta like this place!

marty
Old 01-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
You were not out sailing this weekend JRD!!! yumping yiminy! or is that arrrrrrg!

Both days would have been nice out, yeah a bit cold.....but still sunny and 8-12 knots of wind........on the first part of january vs back east.......gotta like this place!

marty
yeah. it wasn't nice, here. hard to believe i was sailing just 5 days ago.

1971 Cal 27