Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2010

SaltiNeil is on a distinguished road
When I ordered new sails, I was talked into a 150 genoa with a foam luff, which presumably retains the proper shape when furled. I am now wondering after the 25 degree heels, if it is too much in anything but light winds. With 10-12 knots of wind I would think that reefing the main is not necessary, but perhaps furling the genoa might help it get back on her feet. The genoa cars are pretty far back as it is, and when I released the main it immediately luffed, so it must be the genny. Tell tales looked good at this setting while going 5 knots within the no sail zone but weather helm was substantial. So if the sails are flat and everything else looks good, should I furl a bit to get more upright?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Neil:

With heavy weather helm and heeling 25+ degrees, you definitely need to do something. The foam luff should help retaining genny shape as you reef. I'd try rolling it in a bit under those conditions and see the effects. Weather helm can usually be reduced with the main, but if you are overpowered, it may not be enough. Don't be afraid to have the main luff a bit under those conditions if it reduces weather helm. If it doesn't, then reefing the genny a bit is worth a try.

Jim
Old 08-29-2010

sidmon is on a distinguished road
Saltineil, looking back at what Shaw said about the P-303:

"The design parameters were laid down as follows: 1) A really big boat in the 30 foot range that sails at low angles of heel, has a shallow draft, and excellent sailing qualities across a wide range of wind conditions. 2) An easily driven boat that can be handled easily by a couple or a young family- an efficient boat for experienced or inexperienced sailors alike."

This is not a boat that likes to sail with a rail buried. I've found that shortening sail above the mid teens reduces that weather helm you note, and also drives the boat as well without the leeway that sets up with larger angles of heel.

As for the foam luff, I've ordered one in a new 135 genoa which should be delivered in a few weeks. I expect it to help retain sail shape when I roll it in a little to keep the boat standingup.

As for the weather helm, the original manual for the boat says the mast is tepped with a rake. You may want to think about reducing it some if the weather helm is excessive.