Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
40' Bayfield Ketch

Did a search on Yachtworld, there are a few of them. All were made in early 80's with asking price of 80 to 110K. I can't find any reviews or owner club on the net.

Anyone know any info on this boat? She is heavy and but only take 4'11" draft. I though it will be good for the Chesapeake bay and off shore sailing. My concern may be too big for me to sail alone.

No, I do have family, but no one will go to the seas with me.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
If you like to sail rather than motor, this would be about the last boat that you would want on the Chesapeake Bay. The Chesapeake is a great cruising and sailing ground, but it really rewards boats that offer better saing ability at either end of the wind range, but especially in the light to moderate end of things.

I personally do not like Bayfields for short-handed sailing or for offshore work, since big displacements mean big sails to handle and poor sailing performance. In the case of the Bayfields, I personally do not like their rolly motion.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 08-04-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Thanks Jeff for the helpful input.

For most part, all blue water vessels are heavy. Is Bayfield worst than other well known boats like IP, Shannon, Caliber or Valiant?

Aside from the big sails, will one be happy if he is going to sail coastal (from Maine to FL), to Caribbean and beyond for about 5 years or so?

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 08-04-2010
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Hard to find a more beautiful boat. Perfect boat for the Caribbean and I doubt you'd be disapointed. Just don't expect to get anywhere quick..... full keel and heavy displacement. But you're sailing and don't need to get anywhere quick, that's the beauty!
Old 08-05-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I don't know the Bayfield. I sail a 39' 16 ton ketch alone. Sometimes it feels like work, but she holds her course and cruises right along. Singlehanding requires forethought, moreso with a bigger boat.
Old 08-05-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
First of all, I would disagree with your statement that "For most part, all blue water vessels are heavy." From my perspective, I suggest that statement reflects something of an anachronistic point of view. Many, if not most, of the respected blue water boat builder of yore who are still in business have shifted their newer designs to more moderate L/D's as the current science based understanding of offshore safety, and the evolution of the technology of boat building has moved towards lighter yet more seaworthy, seakindly, easier to handle, better performing, and ultimately safer designs to take offshore.

Perhaps I come at this differently then most folks but in a general sense, I believe that a long distance cruising boat needs somewhere between 5,500 and 11,000 lbs of displacement per person, and that the number of people who you anticipate distance cruising aboard will dictate your ideal overall displacement. (Some people prefer as much as 15,000 lbs/person, but personally I do not subscribe to that heavier number for a wide range of reasons that can be found in many of my other posts around this forum.)

From there I suggest that ideally a boat that will be used in a wide range of applications, including both coastal and long distance cruising, (such as you are planning) should ideally have an L/D less than 200, and for ease of handling an SA/D over 20.

To a great extent the kinds of boats that you are describing are very poorly suited for coastal cruising, especially in a venue like the Chesapeake Bay, essentially spending most of their time underway as a slow powerboat with masts, will therefore be very disappointing to own for coastal cruising, and will be next-to-useless as a platform to learn to sail well.

To answer your other question: In my opinion Bayfield's are no worse than an I.P. (which I do not consider particularly ideal as either offshore or coastal cruisers), a little worse than a Shannon, and a lot worse than a Caliber or Valiant.

Respectfully,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 08-05-2010

dmchose is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dmchose Send a message via Skype™ to dmchose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
(which I do not consider particularly ideal as either offshore or coastal cruisers), a little worse than aShannon, ....
Can you explain the reasoning behind this opinion ?
Old 08-05-2010

My basis is that for the most part, (especially the newer) Shannons (as compared to Bayfields) tend to have a little more modern, lower drag underbodies, nicer modeled hull forms, noticably better build quality, and interior layouts better suited for both offshore work and coastal cruising (for example, on the Shannon, galleys are located nearer the point of least motion and where they can vent out the companionway and handholds and footholds are more usefully located.)

Jeff

Old 08-05-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Hahah... your comments and disagreement are welcome here; that is how I learn most of the time.

Without given you an impression of being lazy and not wanting to do my homework, can you give me a few examples of boats that have L/D ratio of less than 200 and SA/D of above 20?

Bear in mind the newer design boats are newer with a price tag of 350K and up. I am not sure if I can justify to the Boss of such purchase. My ideal comfort range will be 150 to 300K including the needed upgrades. The number can be moved up if it is justified and the future economic climate is improving

Fine Print:

Last edited by rockDAWG; 08-05-2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Bad english :P
Old 08-05-2010
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Rockdawg, don't get caught up in the "newer is better" perception. Old boats are old boats and have proven themselves as compared to new boats. Time will only tell with them, but I'm not a believer in the new thin hulls and lighter displacements.

You say you have $150-300k to spend. That is more than plenty. Many bargains available in the USA right now. Like those Bayfields, I would offer them 1/2 of what they want. You may be suprised. Good luck!