Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2010

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
for me, its like this...
what the p.o. knew, didn't know, should have known, should have disclosed is all moot, same with the broker. I don't care what they knew, or didn't know. You watch,both will claim to be dumber than a bag of hammers about the whole deal. Prove they DID know. Knowing they knew, and proving they knew are two different things. The report said that the PO had just did something with the carbs, and that the po, and the broker were frustrated in not being able to get it running. I'm sorry, thats a far stretch that the po/broker KNEW something was wrong with the tank/fittings/fuel lines. (oh, I assume that they knew, but proving they knew...)

What about the clam head who shoveled over 28k... yea, 28,000 samolienes, for a hole in the water.
Hey, numbskull, you peel off 28,000.00 for a boat, you'd better make darn sure its as fit as one of your soon to be ex-wives. Pffft, hey, I shake that much outta my shorts in the morning, I don't check and see if I've got any wedged anywhere else. I'm not taking any responsibility for anything.

In short, ASSUME the worst, its YOUR money. If you don't get something checked out before you buy it, thats ALL on you, don't come crying when it goes ka-boom, and don't blame anyone else BUT yourself.
Writ of merchantability, my aunt fanny.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Note to self - never buy a boat from CP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 08-06-2010

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
might I offer an alternative statement?

If I'm selling you a boat, I'll point out everything thats right with it, AND everything I know that needs correction. If you choose to buy my boat, and you chose not to get it checked out, or check it out for yourself, I'll consider you an idiot.

hows that, better?

Look, I know there are some less than scrupulous people out there, hell, I've met some of 'em. Theres plenty of junk boats, and plenty of brokers that aren't all that forthcoming. There are also people you can trust.
BUT as with any piece of machinery, house, car, boat, combine or bulldozer, theres going to be problems.

If I'm laying out MY hard earned cash for something that I have no experience in, then yea, I'm going to get someone that knows what they are doing to check it out.

and I thought the nanny state was big here....

...He recommended:

- Resources available to Victoria Police's Marine Division be increased.

- A campaign further highlighting the dangers involved in the use of petrol-driven inboard motor cruisers.

- Introduction of legislation requiring mechanical surveys for all petrol-powered boats 15 year or older.

- Introduction of legislation to improve design standards for petrol-fuelled boats.

all because one chucklehead bought a boat, didn't have it checked out, and somebody died. Thats thinning the herd folks.

Victoria's Ports Minister, Tim Pallas, says the state's boat registration laws will be strengthened. "The Government has been in the process of rewriting the Marine Safety Act," he said. "It will be introduced in to Parliament in the next few weeks and will incorporate increased rigour around the process of how vessels go to sea", Mr Pallas said.

you're kiddin' right? We're from the gubbmint, we're here to help.
Its comforting to know that its not just here in the US that common sense will be forthcoming from the halls of the parliament. Ohhh, I can't wait, help us obi-wan, weez too stoopid to find our own shoes, pleze tells us wheres to putz 'em.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 08-08-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul View Post
and I thought the nanny state was big here....

...He recommended:

- Resources available to Victoria Police's Marine Division be increased.

- A campaign further highlighting the dangers involved in the use of petrol-driven inboard motor cruisers.

- Introduction of legislation requiring mechanical surveys for all petrol-powered boats 15 year or older.

- Introduction of legislation to improve design standards for petrol-fuelled boats.

all because one chucklehead bought a boat, didn't have it checked out, and somebody died. Thats thinning the herd folks.

Victoria's Ports Minister, Tim Pallas, says the state's boat registration laws will be strengthened. "The Government has been in the process of rewriting the Marine Safety Act," he said. "It will be introduced in to Parliament in the next few weeks and will incorporate increased rigour around the process of how vessels go to sea", Mr Pallas said.

you're kiddin' right? We're from the gubbmint, we're here to help.
Its comforting to know that its not just here in the US that common sense will be forthcoming from the halls of the parliament. Ohhh, I can't wait, help us obi-wan, weez too stoopid to find our own shoes, pleze tells us wheres to putz 'em.
AFAIK, Mr Pallas wouldn't know the bow of a boat from the stern - his only care is his job since this is an election year over here.

I wish I could say you had it wrong, CP.. but, unfortunately, I can't. That's the world we live in.
Old 08-08-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"weez too stoopid to find our own shoes,"
Not to worry, cp, the public wearing and use of shoes will be banned effective January 1st. Too many people have been injured by them, and law-abiding citizens really have no need for them. Especially if they sweep their streets, as also required by law.
Old 08-08-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Note to self - never buy a boat from CP

CC that to me as well would you Andre.......and if he offers you a bridge....run !!

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 08-09-2010

Daveinet is on a distinguished road
Actually the problem is likely much more simple. Ethanol in the fuel lines ruin old rubber. This is an ongoing problem that will continue to get worse as time goes on. Everyone wants to blame the seller, but how did the seller know the nature of the problem, he only knew that it didn't really run right. While he thought he had it fixed, he was wrong. OK, so anyone here been wrong when you thought you fixed something?

But beyond that, boat owners need to know that if your boat has seen Ethanol mixed with gas, they should be replacing their fuel lines with new lines that are resistant to deterioration from the newer fuel blends.
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat

Sailing a large boat on a small lake is very tacky.
Old 08-09-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
I dont believe they RUN E-10 that far south

The fact that these things happen at the fuel dock means that the boat had a good size leak in the fill/vent system as fueling happens outside it should not cause fumes unless there is and ongoing leak in some part of the fuel system that made fumes faster than the blower could remove them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 08-09-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-09-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
I dont believe they RUN E-10 that far south
They do.. for cars.

...but you're quite right. There's no E-10 on marine fuel docks down under. Not yet, anyways.
Old 10-06-2010

LedaII is on a distinguished road
chucklehead
thinning the herd
clamhead
numbskull
uneducated

Seems this is all a breach of "the Rules"

This was my boat, briefly - I am none of those things.

Your ignorance of the facts is profound.