Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Seaclear

Hello,

I have SeaClear version 1.0.0.175 on my PC and it works fine. I've been using it for a few years, mostly on longer trips. I like that it saves the tracks, and I can see where I was.

Is there anything you can do with the saved track data? For example, I would like to open an old track and find out how long it took me to get from point A to point B, or how fast I was going at a certain locationm etc.

Is there anyway to get that information from a track? I see that you can save the track as a text file, and that contains the date / time stamp as well as lat / long info. Is there some other program, say google earth, or something like that, that could read that information in and do what I want?

I have Garmin Mapsource that does all that, but I need to store the trip into on my ETrex and then load it into Mapsource to do that. I can do it, but it's another pain.

Thanks,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There are a few programs that can translate the information into a form Mapsource can read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-05-2010

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
You should be able to paste the text file into Excel. Then set up formulas to comput the time and speed between each track point. That assumes each track point line gives you the time or elapsed time and total distance or distance between the last track point.
Old 08-08-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
If you run Windows, g7towin pulls the data from my SeaClear II tracks very nicely, and IIRC it reports and exports speeds and distances to a text file without the need for a spreadsheet to do the calculations. It can also handle some of the interfacing with Garmin units, adding additional menu commands into SeaClear II to allow for direct on-demand transfers.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-01-2011

pkats is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know a good web site for European charts? I know it's not free, but still couldn't find anything except torrent downloads. Nima used to have charts outside of US, but not anymore. Thanks