Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2010

Nibsoe is on a distinguished road
Charter Destination Advice Please

Hi all,

My wife and I are planning a bareboat charter over the Christmas-New Year period and are hoping for some advice from those that have been there before us.

We have narrowed the options down to British Virgin Islands (looks great but is the most $$, particularly from Australia), Seychelles or Tahiti.

We were hoping to get some recommendations on the best place to go at that time of year.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2010
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
If you are looking for a wild party then the New Year's party at Foxy's on Jost Van Dyke, BVI is hard to beat!!!!
Old 08-06-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I flew from Sydney to the BVI and while it took less than two days it felt like 4 - while the BVI are wonderful, unless you have 4 days or more spare for travelling then the Seychelles are probably your best bet, even in late December. I haven't sailed the Whitsundays but they are supposed to be beautiful?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-06-2010

nolatom will become famous soon enough
The US/BVI "big four" (St Thomas, St. John, Tortola, Virgin Gorda) surrounding the Francis Drake Passage, are probably the Mecca of winter chartering.

I did it once, over 30 years ago, as (get this) 'chaperones' and skippers for a bunch of prep school kids on spring break--3 boats, 19 high-schoolers, and 5 so-called 'adults' (wife and I, at 27, were the 'old geezers').

Good steady easterlies, mostly-sheltered waters, "by eyesight" navigation, and close-by harbors make this place popular.

Those memories will last forever. i did it on the cheap, but it's worth it even if pricey.

Obviously I can't comment on the Pacific to compare, though.
Old 08-06-2010

Nibsoe is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply all,

farcry and nolatom sounds like you have had a wonderful time at BVI, that's one of the things that makes it attractive, its a once in a lifetime opportunity.

But you're right about the distance zanshin, it is making us lean towards the other two destinations, we are only going to have a 10 day charter so we'll be spending half the holiday commuting.
We have sailed in the whitsundays and tonga which are both fantastic but were looking to try something else.

thanks again
Old 08-21-2010

skylerdorn is on a distinguished road
tahiti tahiti a thousand times tahiti
Old 08-26-2010

RichieRich is on a distinguished road
About Tahiti...

The BVI are awesome, but as an East coaster (US) it is an easy trip for us, been there 5 times. I am exactly the opposite of you Nibsoe. I am contemplating the long trek to Tahiti and would love to cruise the Whitsundays someday. If you decide to come out to the BVI know that Christmas week is the most popular and expensive. I have not been there at that time for that reason but I have been there in both the high, mid and low season. I am a mid season kind of person. A lot of stuff is closed in low season, the weather is not great and it has an abandoned feeling in some locals. The high season is very crowded, which some people love. The night life is awesome. I like mid season because it is a good compromise. Plus I cant stay up that late anymore . I do not want to discourage a Christmas trip it will be great, but busy.

About you side of the world. I just recently started a topic asking for advice for chartering in Tahiti. I would be going in their high season , July. It is just how it works out, Although I do not think crowded anchorages will be a problem because there are probably only 50 boats for charter in Tahiti. Here is what I learned, unfortunatly I haver not gotten feed back from two forums I have posted on yet, so if anyone can advise please do so.

On Raiatea the three main players from what I found , Moorings (most expensive from my quote) , Sun Sail and Tahiti Yacht Charters (least expensive). The islands of Raitea, Taha, Bora Bora and Huahine are all accessible in a 7-10 day charter. Very few guides are written on the area. I have the one from the moorings, very brief and one other from Charlies Charts really for cruisers but some good info. In the end I found info scarce.