A Sail is a Sale. - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-06-2010 Thread Starter

A Sail is a Sale.

Heres one. ...
How do you get rid of one sail and try trading it for a differant one?

"If" the commercial traders e.g. Bacon and Associates, Atlantic Sail Traders et. al. actually "trade" I'd be concerned about the costs of mailing a 25# + bag half way across the country via Fed-Ex. Not to mention the fact that the last sail I left with a consignment shop sent me a check for a whopping $45.00 a year and a half later.

E-Bay and Craigslist - well - thats like finding a needle in a haystack. I've tried Sailing Forums but not having much luck there either. Using Search Engines especially with common words like "sail" on a website like this..nuff said...

One would think there would be an active website dedicated to trading sails among individuals, What with Pay-Pal and other security measures available you'd think this would be a viable option, ......
is anyone aware of such sites???
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-06-2010

Bacon and Associates has a good rep ?

We have 1/2 are race sails used by knowing the key sizes required the boat brand becomes less inportant

For example a #6 tape is very common on headsails and many boats have close enough #s to are C&C35 to fit

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-06-2010
Oday30!

Bill, somethings just have to done in person.. I was a Bacon last month and found a main and head sail for my boat. They are very helpful and will roll out sails you select via there computer list. and there are thousands really! I peeked in the warehouse. they don't trade.. but will take your things on consignment. It's pretty hard to sell things that way.
You don't say what boat you have Bill. Or your sail dimensions?

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #4 of 4 Old 08-06-2010

As for shipping 25lbs across the county, in the right packaging it's really
not that expensive. I've shipped guitars that weigh that and are in a much
more cumbersome box for less than $20.00, 3 day ground, w/FedEx. Never
had a box get to it's destination damaged, although it happens.
The key to shipping is the box dimensions. Keep it as small as you can.
(I'm being redundant aren't I? Did I mention small box?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.