Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2010

beetoven is on a distinguished road
stuck keel

I have a Sandpiper 565 and the keel is stuck and will not lower down. The crew mechanism is fine except it rises up into the cabin when I try to lower the keel. Any suggestion how to get the keel unstuck?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
This is usually caused by marine growth in the center board trunk. Does your Sandpiper sail in salt water? If so then barnacle growth can easily jam up the works.
I'd find a long, thin, flat tool (something like a metal ruler) to use to dislodge any marine growth around the center board and trunk. Mask, snorkel or scuba equipment would also help.
Sometimes going out on a 'bouncy' day (when there are waves) can be enough to free up a snag like this. Unfortunately this is this also the kind of day when you would want your center board deployed.
Good luck.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-08-2010
scurvy dog

delan is on a distinguished road
I don't have a sandpiper, but in my boat, the board is lofted on a steel cable.
I can pour a little bleach into the trunk from above, clears all barnacles.

Mako 236
Shamrock 26
Schucker 44 Cutter
Dyer Dhow
Old 08-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by delan View Post
I don't have a sandpiper, but in my boat, the board is lofted on a steel cable.
I can pour a little bleach into the trunk from above, clears all barnacles.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried your suggestion but the keel is still stuck. I thought it might be barnacles but mayeb not.
Old 08-11-2010

stuck keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
This is usually caused by marine growth in the center board trunk. Does your Sandpiper sail in salt water? If so then barnacle growth can easily jam up the works.
I'd find a long, thin, flat tool (something like a metal ruler) to use to dislodge any marine growth around the center board and trunk. Mask, snorkel or scuba equipment would also help.
Sometimes going out on a 'bouncy' day (when there are waves) can be enough to free up a snag like this. Unfortunately this is this also the kind of day when you would want your center board deployed.
Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I have been using a long saw blade to slide up around the keel. There is some blockage in some places, have not got them worked out yet. Not sure now if it is marine growth or something else. I have the boat up on a slip way but it is hard working on my back reaching up. I have now cut part of the top casing off and will try working down the top. I have tried pounding it with a sledge hammer but it still does not budge. I will keep working at it until I can eliminate all the blockages and hope that works but I expect that my sailing season is over before it started..
Old 08-11-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
The bleach kills the barnacles but really don't remove them...
Remove the top cap of your center board well and using a steel yard stick or a flat piece of steel and slide it down between the center board and the well. This will help remove anything that shouldn't be there.
Also check the pivot pin and the babbit bearing that your CB swings on. It could be flat on the top and creating fiction in lowering it.
Also check the CB itself. If a low grade of steel it could have swollen with rust and causing problems from that.
Check your well box and see if the wood(?) is swollen from a lack of paint maintenance care.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 08-12-2010

stuck keel

I have removed the top of the center board well and it is easier to work on the keel than from below. The steel yard stick gets stuck in some places and it is difficult getting it back out. I will keep trying to work it around. Some clearances are only wide enough for a saw blade.

If the steel part of the keel is swollen with rust or the well box is swollen, what are the remedies? Thanks
Old 08-12-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
On the steel Center board. Have the boat on the hard and drop it out and determine if it is salvagable or not. If it is, clean the rust off, pickle the steel then primer and paint it with bottom paint.
On the swollen wood of the CB Well you need to let it dry out then primer & paint it with bottom paint.
But while the CB is out, you can check for dry rot and other ills that may affect the wood structure of your CB well and keel.
Check the pivot pin for wear and the babbit bearing also. Along with the connection point of your CB Pendant.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 08-13-2010

stuck keel

Thanks for the information. Now I just have to get the keel out.
Old 08-13-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Looks like you have top and bottom access so work a wire saw along the keel sides. You would need a friemd below and a good blocking job on the keel.

Use this wire saw $7.50