Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2010

swampcreek is on a distinguished road
A good day to convert

Going to take some power boaters out today who have never sailed. I love the reactions when the sails go up, the motor goes off, the stereo is turned on and the beer is opened (Basically a single motion on my boat), I REALLY love to see their reactions when I can catch some good wind and get it to heel over a good bit! There is a slight breeze outside this morning, the flags on my tiki bar are lazily flapping which usually means good wind on the bay since I'm inland a mile or so in the woods.
It's fun to watch how they find a whole different world that was right there all the time.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2010
San Juan 21 MKII

lydanynom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampcreek View Post
the stereo is turned on
It all sounds good to me except for this bit. Kind of detracts from the rest of the experience, imo.
Old 08-08-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
most of the power boaters I've sailed with are bored silly - "when do we get there?" It's a different mentality
Old 08-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Drinking while underway is generally a bad idea. Alcohol affects your balance, your judgement and your night vision. Most accidents, especially fatal ones, usually involve alcohol. If you want to drink...drop the anchor or wait until you're in a slip or on a mooring.

I'd point out that more and more places are enforcing BUI rules and the BAC to get into trouble with is .08 in most places, even lower if you're a USCG licensed captain IIRC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-08-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
When I left S.F. Bay 8 years ago. Drinking is exactly what the C.G was looking for........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 08-08-2010
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Nothing like cutting the engine and hearing the wind fill the sails and the water hitting the hull. A nice cold beer adds to the day. Nothing wrong with having a cold one as long as you are responsible about it.
Old 08-08-2010

swampcreek is on a distinguished road
I wasn't exactly talking about getting hammered and singing naked on the bow but a few beers is just fine, some people can't handle it and yes, they should not touch it underway.

Everyone who I've had on my boat who have considered themselves die hard power boaters actually enjoy themselves and learn there is others way's to have a good time out on the bay. Some of these people are the same ones I used to scare when I'd do stand-ups with my old 460 big block powered Glastron-Carlson jet boat. Sure I've heard (Before they exprienced sailing) "I like to get there" but I reply "On a sailboat your already there!". I honestly have never had anyone (adult that is) complain while out on the boat.

Everyone sails differently some like the stereo, some like silence, some have a libation, some don't, some won't heel, most do. As long as your actions don't negatively affect others you should be free to do as you wish. That kind of thought might upset some purists but I am definetly a non-conformist so I never try to "Live the lifestyle" in anything, I have too many interests (But sailing IS tops with me). When I'm on the Harley I can be seen many times in shorts and deck shoes, when the weather is cooler I have had to take my riding boots and leathers off when I get to the boat. Life is too short to be snobby.

Today however, our power boating guests couldn't make it. My friend's girlfriend drank too much last night and was ill today (Which is usually the case when she does drink).
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.

Last edited by swampcreek; 08-09-2010 at 03:58 AM.